🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Making 3D worlds more interesting

Started by
1 comment, last by AlanW 24 years ago
I have created a 3D world that uses lighting, texture mapping, blending, and movement (can move around in the level) and other minor basic things I have learned in OpenGL. Its the way I want it...almost. Its a room with 4 walls, a roof and a floor, but it is not very interesting. 2 main problems I don''t like about it: 1st, if I wanted to add a second level, how would I put the person''s "feet" on the "ground". For example, ya know how in every game, if you walk and look up at the same time, your still on the ground, well in my world, if you look up, you fly up...how do I make them stay on the ground? I have tried to not let the user control the y-axis, but how would they get up to the 2nd level? Also, how do you stop the user from running through a wall? (if you go up to a wall in quake, UT, etc. you will stop moving) Is this collision detection or what? If it is collision detection, could someone give me a good place to go for finding out info on programming collision detection and how it works? The second part of the world that I don''t like is that theres nothing in it...like I said, its just a room... How would I go about adding a complex model (like a human being, animal, etc). I know 3D modeling is a complicated subject, and its actually a major in many colleges, so I''m not looking for any quick and easy answer. But, could someone give me a few pointers about 3D modeling and mapping textures onto them, or a place to go to get some information about it? Like, do they draw each part of the body then put it all together, or do they model the body then save it as a file and have their program read the file? Thanks everyone for all the help! -Alan W. "Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things." - Yoda =)
-Alan W."Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things." - Yoda=)
Advertisement
There are lots of tutorials on collision detection on both flipcode and gamedev

Have a look around...

As for the map etc, have a look at making your own map format, or maybe even reading Quake 2 BSPs. There is a brand new tutorial on flipcode that teaches you the internals of the Quake 2 BSP, check that out and you could be walking around in a Quake level within a few days ))
You cold use collision detection
Such as if come closer to a polygon which top is 10 unit above you foot, ''jump'' up 10 units

Otherwise, to add complex objects, just make a little file importer which import 3D studio files
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement