Advertisement

What do you think to the GameDev competition guys?

Started by July 08, 2003 07:58 AM
22 comments, last by fup 21 years, 2 months ago
"Yeah, it''s almost like this is an actual JOB and we WORK for a living "

Good Lord! You don''t want to plumb those depths. Working for a living is definitely not a good idea. I tried it once, and it hurt.
"Yeah, it''s almost like this is an actual JOB and we WORK for a living"
- Don''t work to hard now hey.. wouldn''t want to break a nail or some such defending azeroth... =)

As for this competition, I''d love to enter but I don''t think camper bots would be respected =D
Advertisement
I think the competition is a great idea and one that I think was run a number of years ago (DOS-based).

Then, the language was Pascal not C/C++., but basically the same idea where two or more code fragments are compiled inside an arena module, and they have to fight it out (or survive for a given length of time).

Sadly, I won''t be entering. My language of choice is Delphi, so cannot meet the requirements.

Wish all entrants good luck.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
quote: Original post by fup
Are any of you guys thinking of entering?

i have a billion projects going on this summer (AIISC, UT2003 mod tourney, looking for grad schools, taking the GRE, my movie stuff, trying to fluff my resume/grad shool apps, etc.) but there''s no way i''d miss this. The only question is if i give it enough time to make a good bot. But good or bad, i think it''d be fun to play

As for the contest itself, i have no idea if the game will be good, i''m not a huge fan of deathmatch and there will likely be lots of problems. It''s a 1.0 release, right, so it''s like the guinea pig that we test some ideas out on. What i''m really excited about is that the contest owner will learn a lot, get a lot of really good ideas and make a 2.0 and 3.0 contest. i figure this first contest is just the appetizer and even cooler things are coming next

i''m just sad i can only enter one bot

-baylor
Good Lord! You don''t want to plumb those depths. Working for a living is definitely not a good idea. I tried it once, and it hurt.

Tell me about it! I''ve been cursed with a ''Real Job'' (tm) and it definitely hurts!

As for games... I don''t even own a copy of Warcraft 3... that''s how out of date I am (well, actually I own a copy of BF 1942 and that takes up all the time between family, work, my research and EQ)!

As for this contest, as much as I''d like to, I doubt it. While I have the bones (and CNS!) of a bot in the form of my CFS-Predator system, I doubt I would have enough time to mod it for the domain and test it out. Who knows though, maybe I''ll be a surprise last minute entry!

Cheers,

Timkin
I don''t know anything about AI, so I will only watch and maybe learn...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Pipo DeClown
.lick

Is ur sig for counter-strike? or SoF2 or sumthin? Hehe, I remember when ur honor was like 0.8

I liked this quote:
Based on my average ranking from various Counter-Strike servers that I frequent, I''m in the top 0.7 percentile (out of 10000 I would rank 70). I would love to discuss strategy with anybody trying to give their bot a ''human'' edge..

How is it that EVERYONE can be a counter strike master? Personally I think that game is very noob friendly. Has anyone else noticed that everyone you talk to that plays it is in the top 10% or better? I wonder if I will ever meet anyone who sucks at CS........
Can''t wait. Wish I had a commercial ai library working. Great advertising if it won.

(I still have an unopened copy of Warcraft 3 by my desk!)

Oh, boy, I''ve been waiting for an excuse to post this,
I have unopened leaning on my desk and I''m not kidding:

Starlancer(and boy am I pissed there isn''t a mission editor)
Oni
O.R.B.(off-world resource base, got it cause it was cheaper than Hegemonia: Legions of Iron, ooh, I see a vs. thread in the lounge coming up)
Imperium Galactica II:Alliances
Homeworld
Half-Life

It''d be nice to be God so people wouldn''t hassle me when I do things at random.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
I liked this quote:
Based on my average ranking from various Counter-Strike servers that I frequent, I''m in the top 0.7 percentile (out of 10000 I would rank 70). I would love to discuss strategy with anybody trying to give their bot a ''human'' edge..

How is it that EVERYONE can be a counter strike master? Personally I think that game is very noob friendly. Has anyone else noticed that everyone you talk to that plays it is in the top 10% or better? I wonder if I will ever meet anyone who sucks at CS........

Lol. Being in the top 10% is not uncommon, cosidering that at any given moment tens of thousands of people are playing CS on Canadian servers. I would guess the numbers in the US and Europe would be considerably higher. If you can get at least 1:1 consistantly, you''re probably in the top 10%. Most true noobs die at least 10 times for each kill they make.

The problem is moving beyond the top 10%. The competition becomes very tough. To the uninitaited, anyone in the top 1% looks like a cheater because they can get kills so easily. Basically what I''m saying is that if I''m ranked 60 on a decent server, chances are the guy ranked at 20 can kick the snot out of me without any trouble.

Cheers,
Will
------------------http://www.nentari.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement