Advertisement

Is AI what we want?

Started by July 15, 2003 05:11 PM
26 comments, last by madu 21 years, 1 month ago
There are some who say that AI isn''t even possible. But hey, if dirt and ocean water and lightning etc. were enough to create a brain capable of understanding mathematics and create arts and going to the moon and comming back safe, this brain will be more than capable of creating a godlike intelligence. But is that what we really want? Throughout history we came out with inventions to make our lives easier. We invented machines to do the hard work for us. But, do we want machines to do the thinking for us too? What will we be then? What will be our place in the world when we are not the smartest specie anymore? When machines will be able to do anything better than us? When computers will be able to create art much beyond the human capabilities? For example, when machines will be able to create computer programs in an instant and much more efficient than a human can, and with virtually no cost whatsoever, what will all the programmers in the world do? They would become obsolete. Everyone will.
Been watching the Terminator or the Matrix lately?-)
Advertisement
And then we''ll all have a big party and sell machines and such. It will be wonderful.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
there would be much more time for humans to play video games, eat fruit, and do all those other things we''d rather do than go to work.

and if they try to take over, we can always use an EMP to shut them all down, and just live in the dark for a while.
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote: Original post by madu
For example, when machines will be able to create computer programs in an instant and much more efficient than a human can, and with virtually no cost whatsoever, what will all the programmers in the world do? They would become obsolete. Everyone will.

OH NO!!!! And just think of it... when machines become capable of pressing car parts, all the ironsmiths in the world will become obsolete!
More than likely, if a machine became sentient, first thing it would do is realize ''life'' is pointless and turn itself off/disassemble itself...
Advertisement
And to say AI isn''t possible doesn''t makse sense. Of course it is possible, it is everywhere. Your wrist-watch determines it is a leap year and goes to Feb 29 instead of Mar 1. It''s not ''Intelligence'' but it is 100% ''Artificial Intelligence'' So making AI is very possible and done every day, creating ''I'' is a whole other story...
I would love it if my computer could do all my work without much effort from me, as long as my boss still payed me to tell my computer what to do =-) I think current workers would just become the new lowest level of ''management'' so to speak - giving the AI instructions and tasks to complete. Assuming we achieve AI without excellent natural language processing, people that can thing logically and know whatever computer language it is would be even more valuable I think.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
What most people seem to forget is that there are 2 movements slowly working their way towards eachother.
On one hand we are trying to improve artificial intelligence up to the point where machines, electronic chips can really think. In other words, making artificial things more human.
On the other hand we have cybernetics trying to enhance humans with artificial components. While ''Borg''-like scenes are still far away we are supplying people with pace-makers, artificial legs etc.

Sometime these two movements will meet so humans will not become obsolete ''per se''. The only new fact here is that for the first time in history a species is trying to guide its own evolution instead of being guided by forces of nature. The human species as we know it now however will slowly become obsolete overtime, but that''s quite natural, a lot of species did and still do. There''s no reason why our current form of being is an exception.

******************************StrategicAllianceOn the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes God.On the day we create intelligence and consciousness, mankind becomes obsolete...******************************
"when machines will be able to create computer programs in an instant and much more efficient than a human can, and with virtually no cost whatsoever, what will all the programmers in the world do? "

Go fishing.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement