Advertisement

Is AI what we want?

Started by July 15, 2003 05:11 PM
26 comments, last by madu 21 years, 1 month ago
i think it is so pointless to discuss this subject now.Is there anybody know what turing machine is?it is a atuomata which can simulate any computer built by human so far(i am not talk some machine made by aliens millons lightyear away).what this turing machine does is every time programmer gets a new algorithm,they will try to implement the algorithm on the turing machine.if this algorithm can''t be done on turing machine,then it means none of our computers are clever enough to solve this kind of problem.the result is there are hundreds of thousands of problems,our computer can''t solve,even for some thing seems quite straight forward,like a timetabling system for a university.also there are lots of problem we can solve but it takes longer than the life of the universe to execute.story like terminator or matrix is not realist at all.so relex and don''t worry,we programmers will still have our job,at least for now.......
quote: Original post by jimywang
if this algorithm can''t be done on turing machine,then it means none of our computers are clever enough to solve this kind of problem.

That''s not true. There are problems that cannot be solved on a Turing machine that can be solved with a quantum computer... and some problems that are intractable for a Turing machine that can be computed with a DNA computer.

Timkin
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Timkin
if this algorithm can''t be done on turing machine,then it means none of our computers are clever enough to solve this kind of problem.

That''s not true. There are problems that cannot be solved on a Turing machine that can be solved with a quantum computer... and some problems that are intractable for a Turing machine that can be computed with a DNA computer.

Timkin

either quantum computer or DNA computer is based on the same computing method with ordinary computer.the only difference is the processor is built from a different method,and those two kind of computer is extremely fast.however their computing power is not exceed the power of turing machine.so far there is still not yet a major revolution for computing method,though speed of computing is improved dramatically.
either quantum computer or DNA computer is based on the same computing method with ordinary computer.

Given that a quantum computer can represent partial occupation of a state, as opposed to a flip-flop, then I''d disagree with you. Perhaps you''d like to explain why you think quantum computers are the same as Turing machines?

Cheers,

Timkin
As far as all of the professors and all of the lectures told me,I know no computer yet can exceed the power of turing machine.hopefully I will found some evidence for you in next few days.
exist many (most) programmers with best skills than I and I'm still programming,if the machines can do better works, I can continue my programming career because I like and want to do.

*Edited by moderator due to inappropriate content*

_,,,^Ó..ò^,,,_

[edited by - KosmiC_Khaoz on July 28, 2003 7:30:31 PM]

[edited by - Timkin on July 31, 2003 8:24:25 PM]
Advertisement
Perhaps that means something different in Portuguese?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

We want to get AI as intelligent as possible, without trying to harm us. That way, nobody will ever have to work, removing much stress, making currency useless, as we wouldn''t need it - once the machines are built that can build things for us, they can create all the things we need, and we wouldn''t exactly pay a program for it''s work, so we''d all be able to get things for free, such as computer games, etc. And then, why would there be any stealing? People would only want to steal for fun, but that would get boring after a while. The perfect world.
Wasn''t there a Steely Dan song about this?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

quote: Original post by madu
Throughout history we came out with inventions to make our lives easier. We invented machines to do the hard work for us. But, do we want machines to do the thinking for us too? What will we be then?

They already do and we benefit from it. How much thinking do you need to balance your checkbook with pen and paper vs a spreadsheet program? Unless I'm sadly mistaken, I believe that doing math in your head requires thinking. What are you then? You are still you.

quote:
What will be our place in the world when we are not the smartest specie anymore? When machines will be able to do anything better than us? When computers will be able to create art much beyond the human capabilities?

A man riding a horse is faster than a man walking. An engineer riding a computer is faster than an engineer riding a slide rule. We are still the tool people.

quote:
For example, when machines will be able to create computer programs in an instant and much more efficient than a human can, and with virtually no cost whatsoever, what will all the programmers in the world do? They would become obsolete. Everyone will.

This has already been happening. People have been using 4th gen languages in business analysis work instead of hiring a lot of machine language programmers. What happened to all those machine language programmers? They use a different language, that's all. Programmers probably have less trouble adapting than others because we've always done so and we have no reason not to expect to.

-solo (my site)

[edited by - 5010 on August 4, 2003 12:15:03 PM]
-solo (my site)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement