🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

No VSync (Triplebuffer ??) under OpenGL

Started by
4 comments, last by MadMaK 24 years ago
As I started to write an opengl-game-engine, I would like to know how to switch the buffers without waiting for the vertical sync. Maybe I have to make use of a third framebuffer, eventually an auxiliary buffer, but is there a possibility like the flip-instruction under Direct3D to switch these buffers without regarding the vertical sync. This isn´t a major problem yet as I have still some other things to do, but I search the web from time to time to find a hint for this problem and I didn´t find any help. Seems to me, that disabling the vsync was never of interest to the developers of opengl... Thx
Advertisement
There is no flip control in opengl, but there exist a extension. I dont remember its name right now...
ill post it when i come home.
Ries
its called WGL_EXT_swap_control
Ries
Thank you very much. As you mentioned it as an extention, I found a pdf-document from nvidia, which explained the most common extentions. I found the extention and built it in. And it works !

Bye
Could you post that url, on thos pdf documents? Triple-Buffering was something I liked a lot when I was programming DirectDraw programs..

----------
Drago, VerSoft
osu!
No problem, the url is:

http://www.nvidia.com/marketing/Developer/DevRel.nsf/pages/E7B09950AD14CEB2882568A60000391F

But remember, the solution is not triple-buffering, it´s just to switch off the vertical sync.

Bye

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement