🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Implementing Scripting Systems

Started by
2 comments, last by RuntimeFailure 20 years, 11 months ago
I am currently working on a 2D RPG and have come to the point to which I need to implement a scripting system. The only problem is I do not know how to go about starting this.I have read the scripting chapter in Jim Adam's RPG book but, it didn't really help much. If anyone can help, thanks in advance. [edited by - RuntimeFailure on August 2, 2003 1:35:37 AM]
Advertisement
Integrating LUA in your project.

Don''t roll your own, unless you''re going for the experience. In which case you can have a look at this flipCode article.

2DNow - Forums, IOTDs and Articles for, and by, 2D game developers!
Here's another link to a series of articles on developing your own scripting system. I've only glanced over them, but might be of use to you. However, as the previous poster mentioned, writing your own scripting language is a non-trivial project in itself, so you might want to just use LUA, Python, Ruby or one of the dozens of other scripting languages out there. I think there was an article on Gamasutra a while back on implmenting Python as a game scripting solution.

Edit: found that Python article on Gamasutra.

[edited by - NeverSayDie on August 2, 2003 10:47:00 AM]
Lua Vs. Python

Lua wins me over at this anyway, if not only for the massive size difference (Lua < 100k, Python > 800k)

Also there''s some issues about multi-threading (which would be really handy in most cases), which Lua seems to support better/more easily than Python.

But all in all, it''s up to you, I guess. Licences for both is very non-restrictive.

Small is another scripting engine that looks interesting.

2DNow - Forums, IOTDs and Articles for, and by, 2D game developers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement