🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Python/C++, and Boost.Python

Started by
4 comments, last by Syphoon 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi all, We have a 3d C++ engine that we''re trying to integrate with Python, and we were planning to use Boost.Python for it. However, it doesn''t appear to work under OS X, which is a platform we''re aiming for. The most recent discussion of it on the boost.python mailing list is dated to say the least. So (an answer to either of these questions would be great): 1) Does anyone know if the Boost.python and OS X question has been resolved yet? Or is it still broke? or 2) Is there another efficient way of integrating our python scripting with a C++ app that anyone knows of?
Advertisement
SWIG
Unfortunately, the programmer we have who would be doing the integration code refuses to use SWIG because in his own words he "can''t be ****ed coding with something that ugly and hard to deal with".

How about the raw Python C api? Of course, if he doesn''t like SWIG, he''ll HATE this.

I''ve never used SWIG (only boost.python) but from the SWIG tutorial, you have to write a simple wrapper to feed to SWIG - the same thing must be done for boost.python. There doesn''t seem to be much of a difference.

--
Dustin
Swig IS the way to go, if you can use BOOST. Actually, I even think it''s better than Boost for performances.

If your programmer refuses to use the right tool, perhaps you can think to change programmer ?

It sounds quite harsh, but Swig is really the way to go, and is quite easy to use.

And I also think a programmer who refuses to do something for this poor kind of reasons is a great weakness in a team.
Sorry for the belated reply, but have you checked the forum FAQ for some links to Python binding libraries?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement