🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Big problem with *.ASC format

Started by
2 comments, last by Spikus 24 years ago
I just found a major hassle with the *.ASC format: 3ds Max doesn''t always align its texture coord list with its vertex list... result: UV texture coords attached to the vertices may not be related to those vertices. To see this, check out the *.ASE format. It has an extra list after the *MESH_TVERTLIST list (*MESH_TFACELIST) which maps the vertex coords to points on each face. I just had to modify the 3dsMax ascout plugin and all my code to handle this...whatta pain! (but the end result was worth it) If anybody wants a copy of the modified plugin to see what I mean let me know. Spikus
Advertisement
Why not use the .ase format instead of going through all of that extra work? It works fine for me.

-BacksideSnap-
I don''t suppose you could send me a copy of an ASE file could you? I don''t have 3ds Max and can''t seem to find any good examples to practice with..
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."

Re: ASE...yep, I''d suggest everyone forget ASC if they want any but the simplest textures...ASE seems to be a pretty good alternative for 3ds Max users.

Spikus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement