🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Terrain Demo - 397 KB

Started by
10 comments, last by Eric 24 years ago
Here's a little demo of my project (397 KB): [update] There was a problem with the first demo I posted here, which is discussed below. I've fixed the issue with the stencil-buff, and I've also added a dialog box that lets you pick the screen mode for the demo. Testers, this is what I ask of you: find the rez & color mode that gives you a reasonable frame-rate (30-50 fps) and share this info, along with your system info.[/update] hoverdemo_fixed.zip (313 KB): Instructions for demo: (1) Just extract everything and run the exe (2) Mess around in windowed mode, then alt+enter to fullscreen (640x480x16) (2) arrows control yaw & pitch (3) 'b' is go (4) 'n' & 'm' control roll (rolling does nothing, though) I would have made the map bigger except the culling isn't working yet: this map is about 110x80, which is roughly the size I hope to be able to render each frame. You can read a little more about the terrain LOD in this forum. Edited by - Eric on 6/30/00 6:47:43 PM
Advertisement
Well Now,

I have Celeron 500 64Ram And an unknown
vidoe card which runs UT and Q3 OK.
unfortunatley I could only get 10FPS
out of your demo. But that was OK and
I mean it was really good It was tricky
to control at times but if you adjusted the
controls for a gamer thatn you could have
a crackin'' game there.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
For some reason your demo won't let me use my gfx card's D3DHAL device, I can only use the RGB device and that gives me about 3fps.

BTW: I've got a Voodoo Banshee 16MB AGP.

EDIT: My card only supports multi-pass alpha blending.

-- Kazan - Fire Mountain Games --

Edited by - Kazan on June 30, 2000 12:34:34 PM
Sorry guys. Someone wanted to see how my LOD ran, so I scraped this together rather quickly.

The most glaring error I found is that the enumeration only accepts modes with a stencil buffer, because previously I was planning to use one. Kazan, is your''s a VooDoo3? They don''t support stencil-buffs.

Compounded with this stencil-buff problem is the fact that I request a 16bpp color mode in fullscreen -- I think there are no modes w/ 16bpp color that have stencil-buffs, so now I''m wondering how the heck this thing is even running on my machine!

STVOY, I''d very much appreciate it if you could determine whether your 10 FPS is your HAL or the RGB device. With your processor, that could possibly be RGB. I think you can disable video acceleration under Control Settings.
Yep, unfortunately my card doesn''t support stencil-buffers.

I tried it on my brothers Matrox G400 (AMD K6-2 300) and I got 37fps. It should look great when you have a massive landscape up and running.

-- Kazan - Fire Mountain Games --
So if you don''t need the stencil buffer you wanna take that out and repost it? So more of us can try it!
Thanks,
Ben

P.S. BTW I''ve got a Voodoo3 3000 as well... no stencil buffer.
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
I''ve fixed the stencil-buff problem and also added a dialog box that lets you pick from availabe 3D devices and screen modes. Note that, on my GeForce2, my HAL device got a higher frame-rate than my T&L HAL! (in other words, the processor doesn''t have enough to do)
I got 90 fps on my Athlon 700/GeForce256. Everything looked good except one small detail. The textures kind of look like they are swimming or "flowing" at certain angles. Otherwise, very cool.

---
www.crazycrackerz.org
Hmmm.... I got 30 - 75 fps however it was all greenish and yellowish looks like you didn''t take into account 555 and 565 16bit color modes or something? Could that be it?
With RGB emulation it looks normal though...

My machine is a PIII 533Mhz (b) w/ 128Mb ram Voodoo3 3000 SoundBlaster Live! etc... etc... That''s all you need for info right?

So check the 555 or 565 stuff then e-mail or I''ll see if I can check this post again...
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
I have a Pentium 166MHz, 48MB, and a Voodoo2 1000 PCI.
The FPS Count:
WHEN I VIEWED EDGES: around 35.
WHEN I MOVED AROUND: around 29.
WHEN I SAW THE WHOLE MAP: around 19.
The colors seemed messed up. I had it on 16 bit color mode. Was something wrong?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement