🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lua - for loop

Started by
1 comment, last by krumms 20 years, 8 months ago
Having some problems with Lua. I''m running Lua 5.0, with some of my own extensions built in (core language remains the same - C API has been extended in places, my own libraries are naturally scattered throughout), but seem to be having all sorts of trouble with the following code:

System.Debug.println( "Testing!" ) 

tbl = { 1, 2, 3; }

System.Debug.println( "Table constructed" )

for k in tbl do
	System.Debug.println( "YAY" )
end

System.Debug.println( "Done!" )

Output: Testing! Table constructed The VM seems to be dying at the for loop, complaining about trying to call a nil value. Why? Even excluding the rest of the code and leaving the table constructor and the for loop, the same thing happens!
refrain_from_stupidity( &me );
Advertisement
The actual error, courtesy of lua_pcall:

Lua_Display_Init: 0
Lua_Input_Init: 0
Lua_Debug_Init: 0
Testing!
Table constructed
[string "test/scripts/display.lua"]:7: attempt to call a nil value
Solved.

Strangely, even core constructs like the generic for loop (not the numeric version, tho) rely on libraries that are not core to the lua interpreter - the Lua base library must also be loaded.

Although this makes sense, it strikes me as odd that the language''s generic for loop is broken without this library - and it''s not noted in the documentation as far as I can see.

Oh well. Fixed now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement