🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Widescreen format...

Started by
5 comments, last by Morgan 23 years, 11 months ago
Okay, I''m looking at the possibility of including a widescreen (letter box, movie style, whatever you want to call it) mode for an app, but what is the standard height & width? Is the fov any different? Morgan
Advertisement
I could be wrong, or there might be more than one, but I think that the ratio( or one of them)is 16:9

"If at first you DO succeed...try not to look astonished!!"

BASSOFeeSH@aol.com
><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
Yeah, 16:9 is a common standard.

I think there are three widely used standards.
NTSC (4:3, common american TV)
PAL (not sure, I think it is 16:9. Mostly in Europe)
And a specific format used exclusively in France.

Only for cultural purpose. Use 16:9, it will be fine

EL
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
most of my widescreen movies are around 2.1-2.35:1. according to trueSpace, the ntsc standard letterbox resolution is 736x398. you could probably scale that to 800x? or 1024x? rather easily, if you wanted to.

<(o)>
<(o)>
Thanks everybody! I''ve been guessing up until now, but 736x398 does look right.

Morgan
16:9 is the mode used in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64... So I would assume that 16:9 is right....
736x398 is nearly 16:9 (16.64:9), so 16:9 is the way to go.

736x398 really are strange resolutions for a monitor, though, so I''d choose 800x600 with two 75-pixel heigh black stripes for a 800x450 resolution.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement