🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How are 3d games so fast?

Started by
4 comments, last by Mike00 23 years, 11 months ago
I was just wondering how 3d games like Quake3 (well not just shooters, every game is 3d today) run so fast with so many objects on the screen. My programs run really slow when I display only 1 or 2 objects!
Advertisement
optimizations such as smaller textures, LOD (level of detail), culling, pre-rendered stuff, etc...

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
mainly cause youve just begun programming. yes it does take time to get good. but if u stick at it you''ll get there
aannnd especially somekind of Datasorting (BSP, Octrees,..)

this speeds up everything, cause it filters out objects that can''t even be in the view, can''t collide with the player or other things....
so it doesn''t matter if your main collision detection routine, your main drawing routine, or other stuff is slow, cause most of the triangles/objects don''t even get to this test...
(Can u imagine how fast it gets if even your hardest case routine is fast? wow! ;-)

cya,

Phil
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
1 or 2 models!!! You must be running in software or have very complex models. Hardware and hidden surface removal make games fast.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
...and don''t forget to sacrifice some digital virgins to the mighty speed demon!!

-DA
"You think that''s air your breathing now?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement