🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGl DirectX Win32 ...

Started by
2 comments, last by drBones 23 years, 11 months ago
hej everyone... could you help me ? I found this site like 2 days ago, i checked some posts , downloaded tutorial ( i really hooked on OpenGL programming ) i wonder if it''s really necessery to learn all about win32 api programming or just basics ( like messages and stuff )... I''m tring to figure out this and also DirectX coding... I takes me lots of time to understand cause I was coding in DOS before ( C and Asm ) and Win is kinda different .... thanks in advance ... NewOne
Pet
Advertisement
If you want to go directly into OpenGL, then you can simply copy&paste NeHe''s framework and not bothering with Win32 at all.

But DirectX is much more tied to the Windows API, and uses COM, which is quite an unfamiliar beast (but can be easily tamed, if you give yourself some time).

But no, there is no "requirement" into learning the w32 API for now.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
I believe you should have a small grasp of the win32 api to understand opengl and directx. I understand the basics but.....I have no idea about the functions that Nehe uses for like pixel format and loading bitmaps! Basically using 3 rescources I have become pretty good at opengl/directx programming. The 3 things I use are Sams Teach yourself directx7 in 24 hours, windows 98 programming from the ground up, and Nehe''s tutorials. The windows book is not really needed for me....except I like to do things my own way...so instead of using Nehe''s style when doing things, i compleltly rewrite parts so it fits my style. You could use directx and opengl without learning about win32api...but you would never be able to achieve the full power and control in your apps. The directx book is excellent for beginers and not only does it teach me directx...it also teaches me theory like the game loop using timers. As for opengl, thank god for Nehe and his tutorials!!!!! I was able to make my own version complelty rewritten of lesson 10, wiht mouse control using direcinput and i added bitmap fonts to it! If i didnt know win32api i would not have been able to logically break my program up into functions/class. Now my program is very organized and i have it set up where its like a library...so all the intensive code is in the library, and in my program i just call like: init(1024, 768, 32); Too bad i had to format and lost everything cause of stupid win2k when i tried to upgrade to it! oh well...you can start learning basics of directx and opengl, but if you ever want to be really good, your going to need to learn win32api. Kind of like now I cannot go much further with Nehe''s tutorials because he does not explain the pipeline and math, so i need to get an opengl book.
Good Luck
-blideblide@mail.com
Thanks for your advice guys... it seems that OpenGL is much, much easier than Direct3D... and much ... hmmm you know what i mean... comfortable ?

Pet
Pet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement