🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New - GameMonkey Script - It's better than Lua

Started by
9 comments, last by GregDude 20 years, 3 months ago
GameMonkey Script is a scripting language designed specifically for use in games and development tools. It is written in C++ and compiles with your game/application to provide powerful scripting with simple communication between C/C++ and script. The language borrows concepts from Lua and has these features: o C style syntax you are familar with. o Small code base, suitable for video game consoles and embedded devices. o Compile script at run-time, or precompile into libs. o Lightweight, native threading. o States that allow immediate stack destruction and execution change. o Soft real-time incremental garbage collection. No painful reference counting. o Competative performance compared to other scripting languages for both CPU and memory usage. o Run-time debugging and reflexion support. o Easily modifyable, written in C++, uses Flex and Bison. o Completely free for commercial, and any use. Get everything you need from here: http://www.somedude.net/gamemonkey/ The single download includes documentation, samples, source code, binaries.
Advertisement
Thanks for the heads up, i''ll look into it.

I use LUA already, and its a great script language, but you really shouldnt say something is better that another, cause the definition of better varies per person... its a "in the eye of the beholder" kinda thing

But again, thanks for the heads up...

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
The most irrefutable evidence that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they haven''t contacted us!

quote: Original post by pentium3id
... but you really shouldnt say something is better that another, cause the definition of better varies per person...

Yes, that was very cheeky of me The post was a bit of an advertisement really, so a boast is expected as an enticement, but not designed to mislead. The language designers actually used to use Lua and loved it, but wanted some features Lua didn't have and so GameMonkey was born.

[edited by - GregDude on December 28, 2003 6:55:28 AM]
Damn, im impressed. The scripts look just like c/cpp code.
It''s way more cleaner looking then lua. (lua kicks a$$ still though )
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
can u compile it on mingw?
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
can u compile it on mingw?

It doesn''t look there there are standard makefiles, at least not in the package I downloaded. I don''t think you can call it "better than Lua" until you at least support GNU make/gcc. That will open it up on a lot more platforms.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem: Lands of Shadow, an isometrically rendered hack-and-slash inspired equally by Nethack and Diablo.
It looks quite nice. I have implemented both SpiderMonkey (Mozilla''s &#106avascript engine) and Lua in game engines. Both have pros and cons. GameMonkey looks quite good. I haven''t tried it yet but it''s given me initial interest to check it out =)

How is your OOP support? You may have mentioned this already but I haven''t looked into it too much yet.

For the latest engine I''m working on right now I''ve yet to decide on a scripting language (if any). Maybe if all goes well with benchmarking I''ll be using GameMonkey and hopefully help out with future revisions.

Keep up the great work!

~Graham

----
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
{
my_engine++;
}
Intriguing. I haven''t time to read through the entire website, but what does it offer that Lua doesn''t, beyond extra line noise punctuation C/C++-style? And it''s interesting that you call reference counting ''painful'' when usually it is the garbage-collected languages that people find unacceptable to use in games? Good luck with it, either way.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Looks nice, although it is going to need some automation tools like toLua or luabind before I could make use of it.

One thing I find strange is that you need semi colon''s after function declerations. While this seems to aim to be a lot like other programming languages, I dont know a single other programming language where you need to do that. Surely this is not neccessary? It would certainly reduce the chance of me making an error.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on this project though.
Does GameMonkey offer any kind of OOP support?
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement