🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating your own scripting language?

Started by
2 comments, last by DarkWhoppy 20 years, 6 months ago
How would someone go about creating their own scripting language for a game/game engine? [edited by - DarkWhoppy on December 31, 2003 12:10:34 AM]
Visit the 3DHangout
Advertisement
buddy you''re in way over your head and i''ll suggest you use something like AngelScript or if you''re really trying to make something on your own read "the complete reference C" by herbert schildt; it teaches you how to make an interpreter

quote:
Dick''s Lemma:
"Just because you`re paranoid doesn`t mean they`re not out to get you."

The Programmer''s dilemma:
"Programming is like sex: One mistake and you''re providing
support for a lifetime."
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
1) Implement "cons," "car," and "cdr"
2) Implement Eval
3) Implement Apply
4) Implement mark-and-sweep collection

It can probably be done in a day -- IF you know what you''re doing.

Or do the easy thing: download lua 5.0, compile it, link it. It should take less than an hour (download included).
if you are going to implement your own language be prepared for dissapointment, it''s very difficult to create a good scripting langauge (although it''s both fun and interesting). I''ve created a few, none which are as good as the "big" ones like lua or python. If you want to have a good scripting language use an existing language. If you want to learn a lot about compilers and stuff you should implement your own. The best tutorial available on scriptinglanguages in my opinion is the one found on www.flipcode.com ...good luck

...by the way
check out the Bison tool too (I don''t know exactly where to find it, try google). it will do a lot of the hard work for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement