🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to enable hardware acceleration?

Started by
4 comments, last by Chromebender 23 years, 11 months ago
Maybe I was spoiled by learning OpenGL on an SGI, but I''m having problems writing win32 OpenGL code: everything works fine, but runs very slowly (because it is in software rendering mode). I would like to know how to enable hardware OpenGL acceleration for Win32 programs using 3dfx graphics cards (specifically, the Banshee, Voodoo3, and Voodoo 5 cards). In other words, what exactly would I need to link to the code, and what lines of code would I need to add, to have... say NeHe lesson #6 (or any other program) run in hardware accelerated mode in Windows NT with my Voodoo 3 graphics card? I am only interested in hardware-accelerated OpenGL, NOT glide. Thanks in advance for the help.
Advertisement
try the faq
http://www.opengl.org/About/FAQ/Technical.html
On these cards, the OpenGL dll is named something like "3dfxopengl.dll". Simply copy it to "opengl32.dll" and you''ll get acceleration.

I think...
Better to read the faq zedzeek posted above.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
Thanks - you are correct. I copied the 3dfxOGL.dll file to OPENGL32.DLL and it worked (mostly). Still occasional glitches probably resulting from using an old .dll file for the Banshee graphics card.
You could also just put the your 3dfxogl.dll into your program directory and then just rename it to opengl32.dll. That way you''ll get hardware accleration. -DarkHacker
I thought you could choose which output device to use with SetPixelFormat(). I haven''t gotten around to trying it yet, but this is what I was told.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement