🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie Question About Voxels

Started by
0 comments, last by Mercalli 23 years, 11 months ago
How good is OpenGL for developing a voxel engine? Can you create something like Delta Force 2 using just OpenGL and if OpenGL is good for voxel engines where are some good sites? Mercalli fusiongames.8k.com
Mercallifusiongames.8k.com
Advertisement
In reality, there is no HW accelaration for Volume Pixels (at least that I know of) and I don''t think OpenGL or D3D have any methods specifically for voxels. But if you intend to get some HW accelaration (who doesn''t), then I''m sure I saw an interesting site on the net where to eastern european guys said they used some lines or some kind of small of small primitive (it was a time of great c++ 3D API ignorance, for me, and so on...).

Eitherways, if you ever want to get good Voxel performance on big landscapes with a moderate CPU power, then you''ll have to learn Assempbly. But, looking a bit shorter, I think you can get the performace you want with OpenGL (I''ve seen good Java applet with voxel engines...) if it renders 1 pixel (and above) points. Although I take it that it will take a lot of time to get the engine up...

Being punctual is only making your mistake on time...

Murphy
Being punctual is only making your mistake on time...Murphy1 to 3 chefs make a good restaurant 100 chefs makes a McDonaldsTim Sweeney

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement