🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What program should I write python code with?

Started by
9 comments, last by xegoth 20 years, 4 months ago
Is the only option using some kind of text editor? And if so, which text editor should I use? I normally work with C++ and I''m really used to having everything colored so its easy to read, I hate using a plain text editor. Is there any kind of editor for python that colors things so its clearer?
Advertisement
Python.org

You could try Textpad (after downloading the python syntax file).

Emacs and vi (and other popular editors along those lines) almost certainly have drop-in syntax colouring rules for Python by now.
idle is distributed with python.
There is a python mode for emacs too.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
PythonWin?

There are a couple of Python plugins for Eclipse, too.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
HAP !
PythonWin if you are using Windows or Idle if not. PythonWin a full IDE for Python. You could also try Komodo from ActiveState.
I use Ultraedit for most editing tasks outside of Visual Studio.
I downloaded textpad and got the python plugin and it works great.

Thanks guys.
I use IDLE, or EditPlus.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement