🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Platform game demo RELEASED, only 275kb.

Started by
15 comments, last by MindWipe 23 years, 11 months ago
XMasBeta is released. It''s used using DJGPP + Allegro. I hope you all like it. Take a look at the screenshot below. After downloading it, please reply with your computer specs. So that I know what type of computer it works on. There is no FPS counter. But just tell if it runs ok. It runs perfect on my: AMD K6-2 350Mhz, 96Mb. Screenshot: Download it from this URL: http://virwar.8m.com/XMasBeta.zip Or press the link here: XMasBeta
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement
Damn it. I typed that picture code wrong.

Here is the picture:

There. Hope your happy =)

Hope you like it. And BTW. A BIG "Thank You" Scott Hilbert.
Kirby PC inspired me to make this game.

Edited by - MindWipe on July 28, 2000 4:37:31 PM
It says I''m forbidden to access it...

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam
hmm, we posted at the same time
That picture doesn''t seem to work either

Yeah. I have the same problem downloading it.
I''m trying to fix the problem for the moment.

Wait a while. And try again.
Now I got it to work. I put it on Xoom instead.

Download it here: XMasBeta 275kb

Good Luck

Edited by - MindWipe on July 28, 2000 4:45:35 PM
Nice job!
I''m glad I inspired someone
BTW, I''m going to improve KirbyPC too, so look forward to that!

Well it ran great, (On what computer would 320x240 not run great?) on my PIII 533mhz machine w/ a Voodoo3 3000 z/ 128 mb of ram.

Are you looking for and constructive critisism too? First of I have to say that''s the best snow I''ve seen in a side scroller ever. But maybe that''s just cause I haven''t looked far. But well done on the snow!

However the physics of the guys jump are not even close to real from what I could tell. Learn a bit about acceleration and velocity. Basically gravity has an acceleration of 9.8 m/s/s so every second your velocity should increase by 9.8 m/s downwards. Anyhow, I figure I won''t explain this unless you ask, but good jumping is important in any SideScroller. Other than that an artist and some objects and enemies and you got yourself a game!

Good work so far!
See ya,
Ben

P.S. If you want some good physics explanation about jumping I could try to explain it all to you if you e-mail me, otherwise good luck in finding the stuff you need!!
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Not bad, it runs fine for me on my AMD K5 166, 32Mb Ram, 4 Mb Daytona SiS 6232 video card.

Only one comment, Santa''s jump animation is a little jerky and when he''s walking he looks more like he''s doing the Michael Jackson Moonwalk thing.

Nice work.

--
The Sandman
-----------------------------------------------------------

When the least they could do to you was everything,
then the most they could do to you suddenly held no terror.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
-- The Sandman-----------------------------------------------------------When the least they could do to you was everything, then the most they could do to you suddenly held no terror. -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Thank you. I''m do glad you liked it

About the jumping. I know it''s not completely right.
But it will do for now. I still think it works in the right way.

I use this formel: StartPower*Time -(Gravitation*(Time*Time))/2
But the gravitation in my game is set to about 11.
I know that''s not right. But as I said, it will have to do for
now.

Every game I''ve done have allways been left at half. I don''t want that to happend with this game.

But what did you(And everyone else) think about one thing:
- Doesn''t the game put you in a good mood?

I think so.

BTW. About the snow. I''m an expert on snow because I live in Finland

MindWipe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement