🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectX Tutorials

Started by
11 comments, last by drew2000 23 years, 11 months ago
Recently I have searched many of the websites out there and still I can not find what I am looking for. Game Developement Net is the best site I have seen and it plays host to much information. However it still lacks the one tutorial I am looking for. What I need is a tutorial that goes through the whole process of making a game in Directx. I don''t at this stage care what the game is but I would love Pong, Tron, or space invaders. I don''t need one though that makes use of MFC, or someones personal wrapper class. At the moment the only tutorials I can find focus on only parts of the process and not the abstract few of the whole entity relationship model. Can anyone help. I do have Windows programming for dummies, but I need something more. Thanks Guys Drew
Drew
Advertisement
Did you at all even bothering reading the description for this forum.. It''s not appropriate here.. DirectX sux.. hehe.. and I doubt you find anywhere near what you''re looking for.. Sorry..

bosco()
--leader of the free world .. or something ..
Drew: A game is just another piece of software. Tutorials would be inappropriate and ridiculous. People nowadays will want tutorials to learn how to drink juice because they only drank water so far...

Have some initiative!

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
Wh-a-t?????
Direct X tutorials inappropriate and ridiculous?? Whats he meant to do?? Open up VC++ start typing display code randomly hoping that it''ll magically compile into a Direct X application?
Anyways, the only tutorials I know of are http://msdn.microsoft.com ... although the code is hard to understand, not explained line by line like Nehe''s.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Wh-a-t?????
Direct X tutorials inappropriate and ridiculous?? Whats he meant to do??

I think he means a tutorial on how to do the whole program is inappropriate.

Drew-
There are tutorials out there on how to use the various features of DirectX (which should probably be directed to the DirectX forum), but not for general game development. It would probably be a little much to just put one together. Try looking over design documents. And, break your desired game problem into a lot of smaller, simpler problems.

Don''t think of DirectX as an end to your game programming. Treat it as a collection of tools, instead. Use each tool (hopefully more than once) to handle your smaller problems.

I hate to say it, but try to make your game without any splashy graphics. Once you figure out the gameplay, you can always write things using some graphics tools (DirectX, OpenGL, Glide, or whatever). Be sure you can trace the flow of your program without touching a computer (algorithms, flow-charts, or some other documentation). You don''t want to keep re-booting your PC because the program keeps on sending Windows off to never-never land from doing something simple like locking the mouse and keyboard.

-MartinJ
cheers

I have the basic ideas - I just would like to have the glue to all my pieces, and having one tutorial to run through the entire process can fill some of the gaps!

Drew
Drew
You can find some decent tutorials at:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/3390/

You could try the DirectX SDK from Microsoft (A big download though ) it has loads of documentation, including sample programs and some tutorials. It also has all the header files and libs you''ll need to compile your DirectX apps.
-- Kev Ellis.www.ellis-online.co.uk
Get the Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru''s Book.
DirectX or OpenGL or whatever - sounds like learning anything would be helpful for you - here''s a page with links to tutorials/source code (including the original Descent)

http://www.programmingjunkies.com/gpp/sourcecode/sourcecode.html
Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement