🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Modding A Game Without SDK or Scripting Lang, Possible?

Started by
14 comments, last by mjg 20 years, 3 months ago
Most EULAs attempt to take away your rights. They are not always legal or binding.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Kylotan
Most EULAs attempt to take away your rights. They are not always legal or binding.

So this implies that reverse-engineering might be perfectly legal
in the EU? I still doubt that, but then again - I''m not a lawyer

This is true. Got a really good pinball game from Microsoft and it said I cannot reverse-engineer it.

However, if you look on the internet you will see where courts have ruled reverse-engineering legal; this is mainly so competitors can look at each other's implementation and create better and better products, which is good for consumers. I believe the way the law has been ruled is that the person reverse-engineering the product has to write a description of what the program does-- no copying of the actual assembly or whatever-- and then that person passes the written description to others to write the actual program.

[edited by - Sluginator on March 10, 2004 10:27:24 PM]
Basically, there is a infinite or practically infinite set of things, that includes things such as pluto and quicksort and special relativity, and fart of ant in some specific hive.-Dmytry
I can''t think of any country where reverse engineering is actually totally illegal. It''s a myth that software developers would like you to believe. Imagine if you were prohibited from taking your own car apart to see how it worked.

Look: here and
here.

Other applications of reverse engineering may run up against different issues depending on where you are and what you''re doing.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Someone needed to point out that the EU in EULA stands for End User, as in End User License Agreement, not for European Union.
In Germany (don''t know if this is valid in the whole EU) reverse-engineering is legal. You may even fix errors yourself in the code, and study how it works.
All other agreements that forbid this are rendered invalid by this law. And I pretty much like it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement