🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

opengl with MFC

Started by
5 comments, last by okapota 23 years, 11 months ago
the tutorials are using api, i want to use MFC, how can i convert the code, so i wont need this whole window creation thing, and so ill need only the code concerning swiching the window to opengl mode(should i do this, or i can just immidiatly start drawing primitives, after perspective initialization?). thanx.
Advertisement
MFC Cube example

OGL with MFC + 2 examples

Hope that helps!
Are you NUTZ? You want to use MFC for Openg GL?

Stick with API man
Hi all,
may anybody explain the PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED flag in the pixel format descriptor value? The article seems pretty old & perhaps this option has no sense, I don''t know.
Any ideas?

Mario
MFC sucks dramatically slows down your programs MFC really stands for MOTHER FUCKING CRAP
I don''t recommend using MFC for most games, since the benefits of its nice window stuff is generally not worth the performance hit you''ll take. Since a game usually has an in-game interface, it''s really not worth it. If you''re only using one dialog, or one menu, or something, I suggest you just write to the Win32 API yourself. For something that simple, it''s actually easier to do than use MFC.
However, it is VERY handy to use OpenGL with MFC for things like editors, because there the speed issue isn''t as important as the ease of handling menus, dialogs, etc. It''s also quite useful to use for smaller games that do rely on many of the MFC elements and aren''t worried about high frame rates (or their drawing window is too small to slow down).
The 2 MS ones offered above are good. Here''s some other resources:
A good step-by-step tutorial for using MFC with OGL
This has a lot of MFC & OpenGL code
Hope that helps!
He never said he was making a game in MFC. I''m making a simple 3D modeler using MFC and I''m thinking about using OpenGL for a textured, rotatable, isometric view myself.

If you want to make Windoze apps MFC is pretty much a must use I think. It''s not "Mother ****ing crap"... although the source code that results from using it certainly is...

===========================================
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

-Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement