🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Poly Count

Started by
5 comments, last by PigHeaded 23 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have a modeler who is creating the Characters for our project using Poser 4.0. The problem is that the models are 30K polys. This is way to many to use in our game. I was wondering what the max poly count others have used in their projects for Human/Character animated models? Thanks, PigHeaded
Advertisement
um....30K isnt a lot at all per model.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
Well, 30k per model with 5 or 6 or more models on screen along with the background would add up after a while. Generally I find that 1000 polys per model is fine for me, and thats the maximum I would use for a simple human form because it looks fine to me in a game. Other popular levels of geometric detail are 150, 300, and 600.

If your creating models that have 30k polys then I''m guessing that everything is nicely rounded in your form and its very smooth and organic looking. It might have to look a little more blocky compared to what you have now to get the poly count down, but in a game I doubt it would be all that noticeable, unless you had people with block heads or something.

------------
- outRider -
use textures to get around the low poly models, a low poly model looks great with a good texture, no matter if it has 600 or 30k polys
Thank you outRider,

Yes, the model is very smooth and rounded. I knew the 30K model had to have it''s poly count reduced. Now I have a baseline to shoot for.

1000 polys sounds more reasonable. I had read that Unreal uses between 600-700 polys for their models, and wanted to get more clarification on what others here have used.

Thanks,

PigHeaded
Oddly enough, there is a site devoted to custom models for FPS type games with dozens of models called polycount. (www.polycount.com)

You can just browse the models and look at the poly counts and judge for yourself what is appropriate.

Of course, most of these models are on the lower end of the spectrum, as they are intended for fast paced real-time use.

$0.02
The geometry of your characters typically should be no more than 1000 at the minute, however you should consider the amount of charcters/model expected in any one scene at any time.

You get a good human form for 400-750. Anything else and you can often add more detail to your characters.

To give you an idea...

Quake 1 = 100-150 polys per model
Quake 2 = 500-600 polys per model
Quake 3 = 800-1000 polys per model
Half-Life = 600-700 polys per model (less for some creatures)

Don''t worry about angles, textures will help your model look excellent without having to use thousands of polys.

You are best using a modelling package (MAX Lightwave, Maya etc)
to create models as you have more control.

30,000polys Heh, I can see the minimum spec now...

SUPER DETAIL GAME

Minimum specs
Freeze cooled Athlon 1.5Ghz
512MB Memory (256MB For low detail)
2 Harddisks

Recommended specs

Cray MTA

Only kidding!!!!

I imagine at 30K the model looked pretty damned cool though!
If you like try visiting 3dcafe.com for tutorials on modelling...

Hope this helps.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement