🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

cannot run tutorial code on 98/nt

Started by
7 comments, last by ac 23 years, 11 months ago
I am having an issue with the examples running on Windows 98 or Windows NT, but not Windows 95. I''ve tried it compiled with VC6 and VC5 (both on win 95) and it does the same thing, when I start the program in windowed or full screen mode there is no problem but when I switch modes the program locks up the machine completely. Since this is something that spans hardware I''m wondering if I might have something that is setup incorrectly in my project. I had given a person I work with a modified version of Tutorial 6 that loaded 3 bitmaps instead of one and he told me that he had this problem so I sent him just the tutorial two code and that did the same thing so I thought it was a driver issue that he had. Yesterday I finished building an NT workstation (P650, 256MB, ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP) and I had the same problem he described to me. Does any of this sound like something that anyone has run across before?
Advertisement
Windows 95/98 and 200 come with built in support for OpenGL but some verssions of win95 don''t, so make sure you have everything from the official opengl site downlaoded.(Http://www.opengl.org)

I hope that helps,
poopee
Or maybe i misunderstood the whole question...?
I have found that changing the color depth to 65k colors will allow me to run the program once, though if I switch back several times it doesn''t completely re-build the window after a couple of times. If I try to run the rogram again, or another tutorial program, then it locks up the machine as described in my original post. I had experienced the same system freeze under windows 98 but I have not tried to change the color depth yet. I was looking at me vc5 settings to make sure that I have the most recent libs and headers, is there an updated glaux library and header anywhere?
check out www.sgi.com for the latest version of GL stuff..
Explain yourself a bit more clearly.

Are you trying to change the colour depth in-game? Or just re-compiling it with a different colour depth?

Either way, are you using Win98 SE or the original?

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
I haven''t changed the code at all. I was talking about the color depth of the desktop in Windows NT Workstation. The code is trying to create the 640x4880 16-bit window. I have also noticed that the performance just sucks, windowed mode is better than fullscreen. I tried to run that demo that Bruno built, a couple of people were talking about 120 or 150 fps I got 7(seven). The Win98 machine that I tried to run the code on is running Win98 SE. This is the same with the exe''s that are in the tutorial zip file or with code that I have compiled myself. I can run it on an NT server machine that I have, so this really is confusnig me. The Workstation build I am using is new, is it possible that this is a video driver issue? I have an ATI Rage Pro AGP 2x.
Most definitely a video driver issue.

If it''s not just your code that causes problems, it''s the manufacturers'' fault.

An ATI Rage Pro isn''t exactly top of the range anyway. You can pick up a GeForce quite cheaply now...

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
had similiar problems.
mine was from exiting the program AFTER being in fullscreen mode.
resolution would change from 1600x to 800x and then assert.

does not happen anymore, i updated the drivers for the card.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement