🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Another one o' dem Lighting Probs

Started by
3 comments, last by a2k 23 years, 11 months ago
i''m also having problems with lighting, like most other people. i''m using 3d exploration, and when i light my scene, my meshes seem to be lit as if the light was attached to the object, so it''s always lit object-relative, not world-relative. where should i initialize my light, and place my lights? and should i define any of these in the main rendering loop? later on, i''m going to have the position of the lights change, but for now, i just want to get a light reflecting properly. all materials are set. using omnidirectional light. using glut. a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
Are you resetting your light''s position every time the camera moves? If not, do so.

Morgan
i should do this even when the position of the light doesn't change?

actually, what i have in my render loop is this:

//SET UP LIGHT 0
GLfloat mat_specular[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
GLfloat mat_shininess[] = { 20.0 };
GLfloat light_position[] = { world->light.x, world->light.y, world->light.z, 1};
GLfloat white_light[] = {1,1,1,1};
GLfloat diffuse[] = {.9f, .9f, .9f, 1};

glMaterialfv (GL_FRONT, GL_SPECULAR, mat_specular);
glMaterialfv (GL_FRONT, GL_SHININESS, mat_shininess);
glLightfv (GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, light_position);
glLightfv (GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, diffuse);
glLightfv (GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPECULAR, white_light);

glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);
glEnable(GL_LIGHT0);

a2k

Edited by - a2k on August 7, 2000 2:03:37 AM
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
yes though light position is the only one u need to set

// position viewmatrix/camera
GLfloat light_position[] = { world->light.x, world->light.y, world->light.z, 1};
glLightfv (GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, light_position);

the rest u just setup in the init part
okay, solved. it would help to switch to the modelview matrix, wouldn''t it....

moral: always check in what matrix mode you are currently in.

a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement