🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hover -- playable 3D racing demo

Started by
66 comments, last by Eric 23 years, 10 months ago
Update: I've uploaded the "finished" Hover demo. As with the previous demo offered here, you race against computer opponents on one completed track, but I've made a few changes: - Simpler craft controls - Easier AI - More robust D3D initialization code (I hope) - Alternate shadowing method for older hardware - A new demo race sequence with cool camera shots This is what I plan to submit to IGF, unless you guys can help me find some bugs. Download hoverdemo082100.zip (2.8 MB) See readme.txt after downloading (btw, there's no patch for hoverdemo080700.zip ) If you decide to download, please let me know what you think about the difficulty level. The crafts may still be too difficult to drive; any suggestions on this are welcome. Also, if you run the program and it doesn't work, check out hoverlog.txt to see where it crashed. I'd appreciate it if you would post the file contents here or email me the file. Thanks! Edited by - Eric on 8/21/00 5:39:34 PM
Advertisement
I can''t believe how far you''ve come since the last demo! Do you sleep man?!

My FPS was ~41 on AMD 333MHZ Voodoo3
I didn''t see any shadows.
I suck at games so I couldn''t even finish the race, hitting the walls was fun though!

Demetrios Georgeadis
Director/Programmer
Oniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

Demetrios GeorgeadisDirector/ProgrammerOniera Software Artists

www.oniera.com

geez, man! that looks good! how long did it take to do that? are you using dx or ogl? i''m gonna start downloading now.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
That''s D3D--it won''t work on my Banshee...

---
www.crazycrackerz.org
Pretty cool...

1) Between 90 and 110fps depending on where I''m at on the map. Athlon 700, geforce, loads of RAM

2) I see the shadows

3) Never finished a race... did finish a lap though I kept getting lost. I kind of wished for the ability to lower the angle of the camera.

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

Mark Fassett

Laughing Dragon Games

http://www.laughing-dragon.com

i get an error loading up the terrain. however, i''m running off a laptop, with an ati rage2 pro card. anyway, the screenshots look good.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Thanks for your input, guys.

Demetrios, hehe, yeah, I''ve made pretty good progress since I started this in early May. I''ve been rushing to meet the September 1st deadline for the Independent Games Festival. So the shadows don''t work on a VooDoo3; that is good to know, I will address that. Also, maybe you do suck at games (), but you''re right, I think the controls and overall gameplay are way to difficult right now -- I watched some of my friends struggle to get over the first hill today!

Mark, I''ve wanted to do this overhead camera angle from the start, but at the same time I was always worried people would have a problem with it. I can''t afford to render any more terrain per frame, but I might scale down the vehicle sizes & speeds 25%, which would kinda help.

a2k,I''m using DirectX. I''d really appreciate it if you could tell me exactly what your error was.
Well since i have no hardware acceleration(crappy 4 MB card) i used the RGB emulation mode.
I got the magic number of...1.5-1.7 fps!

Well i couldn''t expect more in my P200 with 32MB RAM!

But from the screenshots i saw i believe you''ve made a very good job!
Well done! *clap,clap,clap*

Voodoo4

Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Very good!! Keep up the good work. I would agree about the controls, it is a little hard still... I got wasted I know that.

~55-60 fps on PII 400MHZ ATI All-In-Wonder 128

I won''t even SAY my best race time, to prevent ultimate embaressment.

I do see the shadows.

Mihkael
said something like error rendering terrain. i don''t remember. i already took it off. sorry. i''m short on hd space. (damn napster gave us a scare, now i got loads of mp3s eatin'' up my drive.)

a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement