🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

TGA files problems

Started by
2 comments, last by Magallo 23 years, 10 months ago
Until Tutorial 25, I was using bmp files as textures for my 3d engine. Now, reading Nehe''s Tutorial25 I decided to use TGA files avoiding to use the glaux library. So that I converted all my bmp textures into TGA files using Paint Shop Pro 5. The problem is that the LoadTGA function does not work correctly as the TGA format of my files wasn''t the same that the function assume it had to be. So that I tried to use Nehe''s TGA textures and all works fine. So the problem is the format that use Paint Shop Pro 5 to save images in TGA format. How can I do to save a TGA file in the same format as Nehe''s ?
Advertisement
Don''t worry - the solution is very simple, you just need to know PSP a little better.

First of all, when you save as, there is a command button marked ''options'' - click it. There are options for the compression (which should not be set), bit depth (24-bit), and other stuff. You can also specify the alpha layers elsewhere.

Ok?

If you still have problems, look at the help file.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
OK, Many paint programs, despite what you tell them, will spit out a file that is incompatable with NeHe''s TGA code. The GIMP does this, for example. If you want to convert those files to a compatable format (this only works for 24bit files), try downloading a utility called IrfanView.
SLARTIBARTFAST00 PLEASE SELECT WITTY .SIG: NoneWho is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?Microwave: Signal from a friendly micro...Multitasking: Screwing up several things at once...How do I set my laser printer on stun?Sarr! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
There''s also another way of using uncompressed TGA images in your program by including it in your resources...
If you''re interrested, you can check out my homepage tutorial Using Custom Resources

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement