🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why is NeHe tutorial page uses Aux instead of glut????

Started by
10 comments, last by Curious George 23 years, 11 months ago
I hear that glut is better to use instead of AUX, especially with glut you do not have to worry much about windows programming? Which is better to use AUX or GLUT???????
Advertisement
From the OpenGL Technical FAQ:

quote: Very important: Don''t use AUX. Use GLUT instead.

The AUX library was developed by SGI early in OpenGL''s life to ease creation of small OpenGL demonstration programs. It''s currently neither supported nor maintained. Developing OpenGL programs using AUX is strongly discouraged. Use the GLUT instead. It''s more flexible and powerful and is available on a wide range of platforms.

That said, it appears that AUX includes some features not implemented in GLUT, bitmap loading being one of them.
just write your own windoze dammnit. it''s 90% of what you''ll get hired to do in the near future, don''t take the easy way out and you might actually get a job
NeHe has always said that if you develop for a platform, you should know how to actually develop for it otherwise what''s the point? That''s his opinion. I think it''s more of a challenge to code using the Win32 API or the MacOS Toolbox, but when there''s a project that I need to port quickly and often between various operating systems, then I am more than willing to use GLUT. Not to mention the various performance enhancements you can get from coding directly for your OS without an abstraction layer in the middle of everything.

Morgan
Glut and Aux don''t make your OpenGL programs any slower.
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
Oh yes, GLUT *WILL* make your program slower!

And I totally agree with that Anonymous Poster before... Well said.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
(paully is correct if its slower its cause uve written it wrong)
glut will NOT make your programs slower, writing with the win32 will be more fleible but SLOWER hmmmmmm. comon smeg_tech u tested it (well i have its a little slower but nothing 2 concern yourself with) what it all comes down to, if you have to ask then use glut. i know carmack would.
in answer to the original post glut has superseeded aux.
Don''t call me smeg_tech.

Whether you use Glut or is up to you, but AUX is hardly needed anymore. GLUT is still a great helper for just making test programs.

========
Smidge
www.smidge-tech.co.uk
========
--Mr Smidge
Even if glut was just a thin wrapper (which its not), its still slower. Every line of code between you & a system api slows things down. In addition, glut''s keyboard is not directinput.

If you just use GLUT to setup the rendering context IN NO WAY CAN IT POSSIBLY BE ANY SLOWER WHATSOEVER. Granted, it might take longer to set the context up, but rendering to it won''t be any slower.

Huh,
Paul.
Paul Grovespauls opengl page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement