🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

culling and blending

Started by
3 comments, last by Bruno 23 years, 10 months ago
Hi When i enable Culling, all of my transparent objects, became solid., is there a way to overcome this? thanks Bruno
Advertisement
huh? i think a couple of screenshots are in order
Just imagine a solid cube, with the top of the cube being solid, where it should be transparent.
If i enable culling, that face becames solid, if i disable culling, the face becames transparent....
If you still need the screenshot, i will get one

thanks
Bruno
I think your problem is that transparent polygons need to be drawn after any opaque polygons, as well as in a back to front order. The problem is with how HSR is being performed in your application--I''m guessing with a z-buffer. When polygons are drawn, they are also put into the z-buffer whether they are transparent or not. This has the effect of transparent polygons blocking any opaque polygons that are drawn after and behind it, despite their blending values. If you make sure to draw them all last, then their values will not be in the z-buffer to block opaque polygons from being drawn. Back to front drawing is not entirely necessary, but will make the blending more accurate. If you don''t order the polygons, then make sure to disable the z-buffer when drawing the transparent polygons.
Thanks for the replys, I''ve fixed it., i was making a real stupid mistake

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement