🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Octree's ????

Started by
7 comments, last by manutd 23 years, 10 months ago
Top site. I understand there is a tutorial on 3d world with segments but this is getting old now. So I think I will try Octrees. I understand octrees I just donot know what an octree file/level looks like. Anyone want to post a simple one please. Thank you -Jamie
Advertisement
Hi !

I know you first asked this q in my forum and I''m sorry that I haven''t replied. It''s just that I can''t contribute anything useful to it ;-)) I''m calculating my Octree on the fly, it''s soooo damn fast. The only thing that is time consuming is the PVS, so you should also think of how to store the PVS. I think your idea is ok, after all it doesn''t make much of a difference...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim,
I downloaded the code, (It corrupted on me three times) for 3dengine.zip I am trying again now :D. Anyway how do you do the lookups for collision detection then. Or do you load it into memory and do it from there? You are doing well for only 17? I wish I knew as much as you. I am 15 but it doesn''t all make sense at the moment :D

-Jamie

You really don''t need to store them in a map format unless you have many polygons... and you wouldn''t even need to then, but you may get some load times. I made them up at load time, like tcs, and it seemed to work okay... Anyways, I checked out your engine, tcs, and it looks great. Nice work =)

-----------------------------

1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock."

2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
-Dan Quayle

4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
-----------------------------1. "Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'... till you can find a rock." 2. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." 3. "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-Dan Quayle4. If life gives you sour grapes, squash them and make wine!
I will have my Oct Tree Algorithm done soon, I will have several screenshots in a month or so...

Why Not?
I want to have a level that can be loaded from a file, not within the .exe

Maybe I should use BSP trees. I have download heaps of tutorials on them so I should be fine learning them.

I downloaded the 3dengine.exe but I get an illegal operation every time?????
I also get an illegal operation with skycam?????

I have :
128mg Ram
20gig HDD
Celeron 550
MSI 6163 pro M/board
Windows 98 SE

What is this PVS ?
Dude, Depending on what you are doing, I would recomend using portals. As well as maybe support for individual BSP trees inside each sector. (take a look at Crystal Space, for an example)

I don''t know much about Octrees, but BSP is now ''old'' because you can''t do much with the BSP tree in real time, but they are slightly faster than the others. Doom used them because, then, speed was critical.

Andrew
Microwave: Signal from a friendly micro...
SLARTIBARTFAST00 PLEASE SELECT WITTY .SIG: NoneWho is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?Microwave: Signal from a friendly micro...Multitasking: Screwing up several things at once...How do I set my laser printer on stun?Sarr! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
I suggest you to use any tree structure you like. The speed difference is there, but for a beginne it might better to chose what you feel comfortable with. When you want to read more info about PVS, you should read my Octree tutorial. My engine loads the model as a simple OBJ model and builds the Octree from it on the fly. Even a Quake level would only take seconds. The problem is just the PVS. And PVS is the main use of a Octree when it comes to rendering the scene

Tim

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Thanks for the help everyone.
I have downloaded your tutorial Tim. Nice and easy to understand, very good.

Thanks once again everyone.

-Jamie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement