🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why not VB is the question you should be asking

Started by
36 comments, last by Spaghetti 23 years, 10 months ago
VB is alot easier to program and takes alot less time as well. And if you have tried my game you will see there are no real limits to VB. However I know C++ is alot faster, but its alot faster to program my ideas in VB. Anyway I might give C++ a try later on. If anyone is intressted in the demo version, im planning on releasing it in about 2-3 weeks, but we will also be uploading updates for the beta version with perhaps extra maps if wanted and maybe even the flamethrower and smokebomb which we never managed to complete for this beta test.
Advertisement
The main problem with VB is that Microsoft built it. Everything that is wrong wth the rest of their apps is wrong with VB. It''s an enormous application that generates huge files dependant on large runtime libraries that are so convoluted and badly designed that no VB program could possibly run at a decent speed.

But, the coding speed means it is excellent for writing utilities and GUI programs. The only reason I don''t like it is that the exes it generates are bug riddled and unstable through no fault of the programmer.

You''d be better off with C and a RC bulder.
(P.S. have more gripes about C so don''t think I''m a member of the C fan club!)
Ehhh... I think that Spaghetti meant to reply to another post.
Spaghetti: Use the "reply to post" button instead of the "new post" button!

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam
VB runs only on Windows platforms. The language is also owned by MS (not good). I can't make a VB program for Linux or BeOS, which is bad.

There are C compilers for almost every platform out there. It's not owned by anyone.

C is faster. C is better.

But VB has some strong points though - mainly ease of use.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on August 13, 2000 12:28:28 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Using VB you''ll probably get results pretty early, while in C/C++ one has to write some lines before reaching any result.

Yet this only counts for small projects, imho.
Once you''ve written a framework with rendering, object and world classes, C/C++ is more effective, meaning it is easier to read (for experienced C/C++ guys at least) and gets even faster to code (since your framework now delivers an interface to everything in your own programming style).

Just my $.02

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
What I like about VB is that it's so easy to use.I'm making an RPG engine, and it's really very easy.In my opinion VB's main problem is that the generated programs need so many files to run.

Look at my post "Athalon : Into the Maelstrom".It's a game I made with VB (not the graphics, of course).

Runemaster
Join the Game Developers SiteRing !

Edited by - runemaster on August 15, 2000 3:58:08 AM
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
well, It's a major problem. I made a game that takes just 32kb in zip and doesn't require anything more then DirectX7 itself...

besides, can you do complicated stuff in VBasic such as matrices, etc.. ?
those 'comlpicated' stuff only make things easier to do if and when you have the correct algorithms.

Edited by - Aqutiv on August 15, 2000 4:39:31 AM
AquDev - It is what it is.
Sure VB is easy to code and you can set up a nice GUI in a hurry but that''s about all that its good for.
Case in point: I wrote a program in VB for my work that compares two text documents either several characters at a time or just one at a time depending on what character it hits. A pretty simple app. When done entirely in VB ,with two 300K files, it took a damn HOUR! When my boss told me it was too slow, I wrote an ActiveX control in VC++. With the control it took less than a second! Sure it looked pretty, but it was slower than a Commodore 64 running Quake 3.

Plus VB has bugs, like not being able to set the font size of anything to exactly what you want. While debugging, I would give it one value then the line it would have already reset itself.
There are many more examples of this that take control away from the programmer, which no language should do.
After working in VB for a month, then switching to C++, it was like a breath of fresh air!

Big B

P.S. Runemaster, I couldn''t dl that Athalon game from the other post, nor could I find it on your site!
quote: Original post by Big B

Sure VB is easy to code and you can set up a nice GUI in a hurry but that''s about all that its good for.
Case in point: I wrote a program in VB for my work that compares two text documents either several characters at a time or just one at a time depending on what character it hits. A pretty simple app. When done entirely in VB ,with two 300K files, it took a damn HOUR! When my boss told me it was too slow, I wrote an ActiveX control in VC++. With the control it took less than a second! Sure it looked pretty, but it was slower than a Commodore 64 running Quake 3.

Plus VB has bugs, like not being able to set the font size of anything to exactly what you want. While debugging, I would give it one value then the line it would have already reset itself.
There are many more examples of this that take control away from the programmer, which no language should do.
After working in VB for a month, then switching to C++, it was like a breath of fresh air!

Big B

P.S. Runemaster, I couldn''t dl that Athalon game from the other post, nor could I find it on your site!

Compare 2 300k files in an hour? I think that''s just slightly faster than doing it manually (i.e. looking at each characters yourself and then making the comparison). 300kb = 300 thousand characters (assuming you''re not using unicode). If you''re paying full attention, you should be able to do something like 250k characters an hour.

VB is slow, but I don''t think that VB is THAT slow. Maybe it''s with your algorithm?
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Well if you think VB is slow, think again, try my game I programmed fully in VB code.

www.magicdust.ipfox.com

Then show me a c++ game that runs faster and built in under 6 months, like mine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement