🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plese help testing my first game

Started by
25 comments, last by Aqutiv 23 years, 10 months ago
I wasn''t going to announce this here.. Mostly because it really is just a tetris-clone I made while learning DirectDraw... :p However a few people have told me that all they see is a black screen and the they get throwned back to the desktop, and a couple told me it works fine for them... So I was wondering if you guys can check it out and tell me how well it worked and what computer and stuff did you use... Here''s a screenshot: Download it here! (32kb) Any other thoughts are more then welcome... (such as... what the problem might be and how can I fix it?)
AquDev - It is what it is.
Advertisement
I ran it once, and it worked fine, but I did not know the keys, so I exited and looked at the readme. When I tried it again it would give a black screen, start to draw, and then it exited immediatley. Now it doesn''t run anymore. Weird.
It did the same thing to me. I tried to restart it a few times and found it would only work every 3rd or 4th time. The rest of the time it would just show a black screen for a second and then kick me back to the desktop.
Argh, What did I do?
I re-checked it, and everything looks fine..
what could be wrong?
Maby I shouldn''t bother...
does the same thing for me..

u sure u releasing everything you create propley?.
Worked the first time then never again.

http://users.50megs.com/crazyvasey/
Thanks alot for testing, I appreciate it.
I think i''ve got it, I did release everything, heh, that''s the first thing i''ve looked... What I didn''t do is not restoring all surfaces. Other then that I fixed an inner bug releated to the speed increase.
I''m not sure if it''s fine now... but if you care to re-check it... I''d be happy.
did you upload your new version to the same url? If yo did you still have a problem
I had the same problem, but I could run it after it had chrashed, and it didnt seem to have any pattern when it exited. It could exit at startup, or when you display a yellow brick, or purple etc.

Diemonex Games
Diemonex Games
Try putting error checks around every DirectDraw call you make. Spit out information to a text file if you have to, which really helps sometimes. Something like:

HRESULT rval = lpDirectXInterface->DirectXCall();
if (rval != S_OK)
// Do some debug stuff
endif

Good luck!

[ 1 0 0 0 ] 3
[ 0 1 0 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 0 1 ]

You know what the strange thing is??
It works perfectly on my computer.
I think it''s actually a DirectX problem... In fact, someone had told me that it didn''t work for him, but then he said that he installed the DirectX 7.0a patch and it works fine..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement