🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Plese help testing my first game

Started by
25 comments, last by Aqutiv 23 years, 10 months ago
It has to be something else, because I''ve DX 7.0a installed, but it still crashed. It started up fine, but when I filled a line it crashed, and it doesn''t startup anymore.
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
Advertisement
Very strange.

First try - switched screen resolution, black screen, exited.
Second try - it worked!
Third ... Eight try - same as first, exits.

PII-333, 196mb ram, tnt2 video, Win2000 Pro.

Make it work, don''t give up.
Worked fine here. Every time.

One thing I did notice when you quit, the screen jumps around a lot.
Maybe it''s just my resolution changing back to normal, but usually when
I see something like that when it happens to my program, it means I
didn''t shutdown properly. If you create your main window first and
then create DX second, you should destroy DX first before you destroy
your window.

If your main window is still full-screen and active when you destroy DX,
it should hide all the jumpy resolution changing behind it. So it will
look a lot cleaner when you shutdown.

SubPixel

http://www.geocities.com/subpixelgames/index.html
same problem here , i tried 5 times , on the six its ran...
very strange.

but dont get down its happens to everybody , i had tons of bugs like that in my games and i resolved it (i never saw that one ) , take your time , u will resolve it

------------------------------- Goblineye Entertainment------------------------------

that''s indeed strange...
I think I did everything all right, I even used one of the DX7 SDK examples and built upon it. could that be a problem specific
to my computer and/or my compiler(VC++6)?
If I can''t get such a simple game to work for others (most of them), then I can''t probably do anything else... which I''m afraid off. Maby I should just give up... I''m better in web development, anyway.

AquDev - It is what it is.
if you still have problems, upload the source for us to take a look over
It works fine for me too -- nice game, btw!

DX 7.0a (I believe, may just be 7.0)
PIII 600 MHz Dell Dimension XPS T600
Diamond Viper V770D (video card)
Nice big monitor...

I think that the problem may be that you're using an obscure display mode (24 bit, for example) that some computers may not be able to handle. See if you can change it...

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam

Edited by - SHilbert on August 19, 2000 6:35:46 AM
Well, I used 16bit, which I don''t think is much of a problem.
The source is at:
http://www.gtascene.com/~aqutiv/files/brk.cpp it uses ddutil and is nothing I''m proud of. :o
I really appreciate your help.

It works fine for me. You need to add error messages, so you know what goes wrong when it does. If a function fails, display an error message.

Maybe you aren''t releasing everything, and then you run out of video memory, and it can''t load it into video memory, so it exits. I always have it put it in system if it can''t do video anyways.
Why are you using 16bit? Your images are 8bit, so why not use an 8bit video mode? Just wondering.

man... thats cheap. ddutil.. I have to do all my code by myself, which is why 16 bit is such a pain, gotta figure out the pixel format and stuff. Its only one line of code to do so however. It just took a while to figure it out.

Edited by - OutAxDx on August 19, 2000 9:47:13 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement