🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Don't programers just tick you off?

Started by
62 comments, last by Mr Cup 23 years, 8 months ago
Well dont they? I dont know what the breakdown of people who hang out in here is but most likely your like me and are artists who dont know programers (or don''t want to have to watch them hack away at you designs) so you have had to pickup a bit of the nerdburger side of da biz. I mean anyone can learn to program, but artists, well. "What''s that smell?" :-) As Mr Cup always says, ''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Advertisement
As a programmer I have to say "no". Artists don''t even use the features that we provide in our programs, so what does that mean? That the artists are ungrateful . You ask too much of a programmer sometimes...

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
no, they dont... to answer your question...

and i can easily become artist =)

actually i am, but i havent learned to do my graphics on a computer.. i can only draw something on a piece of paper, and then scan it in.. hmm.. the next step is to learn how to color my graphics put some shadows, highlights.. etc.. =)

-------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
Artists are often much worse

We programmers just create our automated artists and push the RENDER button...

Edited by - baskuenen on August 18, 2000 9:28:02 PM
Well Mr Cup, I think that smell is gasoline, and the vague hint of a match...

Before anyone flames too much - Mr Cup is being deliberately inflammatory (eheh) here.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Yes they do ....
Programmers are awful most of the time - they plan this big-huge project and gather up lot''s of artists- 3d/2d/music and they are the first ones to bail out on the project because the code get''s too complicated, boring, or just don''t want to do it. And the artists always get pissed off when something like this happens - I know I do.
And another thing is, there is a huge difference between artists and wanna-be artists. Of course the wanna-be''s can''t tell the difference, but there''s lighting composition skinning color use mood and effort(most og the time anyways) for the 3d stuff. A lot of people think 3d is easyer than 2d, because all you need is a model and a renderer to get the graphics you need, and if you have a game where the "artist" had this aproach, you can totaly tell. Computer art is not about using a program that has 127 fancy plugins, it''s more than that. - realy, I mean REALY
well my head hurts now - I''m gonna bail out now or have a pop tart - C ya all
To all the artists - here''s my #1 - favorite art site that is dedicaded to computer art and is absolutely worth a look
It has everything you need
#galleries
#hardware
#magazines
#misc
#software
#tutorials, manuals
#studios
textures archive
font archive
message board
plus it''s an .sk site(slovak)

EYE.BOX.SK

~Weird_OWE~
~Weird_OWE~
Mr Cup, I guess I might be able to see where you''re coming from, but please realize that you can''t stereotype all programmers from your experience with a few. I''m not an artist, you''re not a programmer, we both do what we do, we both may not always agree with each other, but we''re both skilled (sometimes ) *artists* (in the generic sense of the word).

Plus not everybody can be a programmer, it takes a special kind of person with the right blend of patience, desire, thought process, and many other things to make a programmer. Actually now that I think of it, anybody can be a programmer, but it takes an unique type of person to be a good programmer.

To be honest with you, I don''t even see the purpose of this thread, but that''s my say on the purposeless post.

----------------------------------------

I'm fat, you're ugly. I can lose weight.

------------------------------------

"We are the music makers, and the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Well I think I know what you mean Mr Cup, but it''s in their nature. My friend who I''m hooking up with (I do graphics, he programs) has this sense of superiority about him, but were both just kidding around, programers can seem arrogant but they''re not. And not anyone can program, I know that I lack the patience and probably Maths skills to program. I''m surprised you haven''t been flamed yet, perhaps I should tell my programer friend about this post...arghh but then he''d see my ill words about him... Hope your not watching Bully.

--------------------------"640K ought to be enough for anybody."-Bill Gates 1981
I know exactly what you mean, I am a programmer and most of the time I tick my self off.

I have come from I multimedia background where I have often been the lone programmer in my course dealing with artists. I think this has giving me a different perspective. There are sections of the programming community that piss me off, not the ones who act superior, coz it is just an 'act' and they soon get cut down, but the ones that have never heard of GUI and WUSIWYG, they insist on building web sites and VRML by typing it out code by hand. Modelling and animating (which is the artists job anyway) by typing VRML out by hand, I mean please how unintuative (prehaps this comes from the academia who are shut off from the real world). IMHO authoring packages can be a good thing.

And Mr. Cup "I mean anyone can learn to program, but artists, well.", really, hehe, I know you a little better than that
Just stacking the kindling to see what will happen damn pycho bastard, stop playing with fire

I know from painful experience it does take a "unique type of person to be a good programmer" I hard to know if you are that person, at the moment I feel like I am a round peg desprately tring to jam my self in that oh so square hole

Ahh.. feel a bit better now I have vented

Edited by - sof on August 17, 2000 11:50:41 AM
______________________________It is entertainment not reality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement