🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

in 27 seconds...

Started by
15 comments, last by Weirdowe 23 years, 9 months ago
I have no idea why I used the topic, just thought it would get people here, and well - here you are. Anyways, what I wanted to write about is the following I was thinking of starting a site much like this(gamedev.net) except more oriented on graphics then game programing, in fact pretty much just about graphics. I''m thinking of putting it within a month, and I was wondering if there is someone who would like to help me with that. Doing stuff like moderating message boards looking up news reviews and articles, just the basic stuff. I''m not going to be paying anything since it''s just a hobby project for now, but I will pay for the domain and web hosting -(so none of that geocities adds and popups) If you''re interested in helping me please send me a mail at Weird_owe@yahoo.com For now I''m not looking for anyone with special skills or X-ray vision, I''m using this site to gain experience, and sofar that''s the only thing I can offer you. Also let me know what you think even if you''re not interested in helping. If you want more info mail me or just lemme no, I can post it here too. Some basic info I can give you right now is that the page will be devoted 80% to art :Traditional art, 2d/3d computer art, flash and maybe more. ~Weird_OWE~
~Weird_OWE~
Advertisement
wait a minute. graphics or graphics programming or both? i might be interested...

a2k

(i mean, if you posted it in here, then it''d be for all us graphics artists. hey, you know, that''d be cool. it would look way cool, cuz all us graphics artists would put it togther...)
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
I''d say get it going within the month, with what you can do...

Then post the URL for us to take a quick peek a what you''ve got and I''m sure you''d probably quickly get a lot of feedback on how to improve it and some people who want to moderate and post stuff, etc...

That''s what I think anyhow!
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
I''ve actually already started a website exactly like what your speaking of. Solely dedicated to game art, because it seems to me like all art sites are VERY general(what paint tool should i buy?), or too specialized (like just on how to make quake models and things). I want to teach the definitions of palettes, low poly modelings, with LODs, DOFs, and everything that entails.
Unfortunately, I am having problems getting it going. (Trying to learn ASP to make it easier in the long run). I''ve already started writing tutorials, have a message board up and running, and the site design done. I have a domain, plus a host (although i need to hange hosts because they don''t support ASP).
So if you want to get together and compare ideas, please tell me.

-Luxury
it sounds like a good idea to me, and i can help by perhaps writing a tutorial or two (i''m more into programming, i''m not a great artist).

what i would like to see on the website (which hopefully includes both graphics and graphics programming, since they are necessary for each other - what would quake3 be without the artwork? and what would the artwork be without quake3?) is an archive of the BEST graphics technique tutorials - sort of like an online version of the graphics gems. and up to date techniques, not ''Setting the screen mode to 13A''.

just a suggestion anyway
i would be interested, please keep me informed by e-mail. and if you want a tutorial to start your page off with, i''ll get a little concave polygon triangulation tutorial together

[email=ehremo@hotmail.com][/email]

Thank you VERY much - all of you
I feel a lot better knowing that I have some support on this. I''ve already started researching hosts to see the all around best deals, and I''m atarting to get some content togother. My plan is to set up a page like this through geocities first, to get the feedback and ideas that could help. Also what I didn''t put in earlyier was that I''m planing to also include a section on web-design, and music. But not just any ditsy shit-britney-spears and baskstreetboys wannabe pages(or something like that). The main emphasis of the music section will be: "what artists listen to at "work" ?, and art in music(IE: weird twisted stuff of Manson, tool, rammstein, and other groups who use art as a way to promote themselves. Of course this music section will be up last (if at all).

Right now what I wanted to know if there is anyone that could look over the programing section, since I have little experience in programing. A2K - you seem interested, and if you could spend a little time to organize that stuff - that would be nice

Another thing quite important is the message board, I''m going to try to get the same one they have up here, a lot of pages seem to be using it.
Well I''ve got nothing else to say for now - I''ll be back soon ...

~Weird_OWE~
Hey,
I know of a few hosting services. I am an ASP programmer for the web and a C/C++ programmer for games and stuff. At http://www.ewebcity.com/ you can get 30 megs, ASP support, and other good stuff with no ads at all and for free. Then at http://www.mavweb.net/ you can get a domain name and web hosting with ASP support and really good pricing. They also have a lot of other good things. I will be willing to help if I can get the time and you don''t mind working with a 13 year old. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Drew Lash
http://www3.ewebcity.com/drewlash/ my site. It isn''t that good right now as I don''t have much time for it but it is coming along...
-Drew Lash
AIM: drewlash
My slowly growing site
[email=drewlash@hotmail.com]drewlash@hotmail.com[/email]
^ AND READ!

I am also new to these forums so I don''t know much about them.
I guess you have to use html. If not, please excuse this post as it is for me to learn.

Ewebcity''s Free Hosting With No Ads and ASP support.

MavWeb''s Domain Hosting with ASP support.

My slowly growing site!

Thanks,
Drew

-Drew Lash
AIM: drewlash
My slowly growing site
[email=drewlash@hotmail.com]drewlash@hotmail.com[/email]
Thanks drewlash for the referal, but I''m looking at something just a bit biggere than that, and I''ve already decided that I will pay for the web hosting
the few hosts I have selected all have SQL ASP SSL anonftp and another bunch of stuff, some of which I had no slue existed
Another thing is the space, since I''m planing on keeping all the news and all the info for a long time, the Megs will acumulate fast, aspecialy if there will be a lot of pics there(which I plan there to be), So I won''t settle for anything under 50MB but am looking for 100. I''ll be putting up some very basic up soon.

~Weird_OWE~
~Weird_OWE~

color schemes...

~Weird_OWE~
~Weird_OWE~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement