🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Car models

Started by
3 comments, last by Simon 23 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone know where I can get a decent, but low polygon count, model of a car. Something like Ridge Racer as opposed to Gran Turismo. I am learning OpenGL and thought I would try my hand at a racing game. Some sort of info on the file structure would also be helpful. Thanks
Advertisement
You can try 3D Cafe. Look under their ''free stuff'' link and meshes. They also list the file format with the mesh so you can get the specific one you want (dxf, max, 3ds, obj, etc).
-------Monkey eat deadCricket, checkmate!
The DXF file format is just plain ASCII files, and I know there is documentation on it on the web, so that should be easy enough to use for 3D objects. Although I''ve heard that it isn''t the best file format to use for game purposes.

But on the other hand, if you''re going to be using existing 3D models, then DXF is probably the best format you''ll get them in. All the other formats (3DS, OBJ, LWO, etc.) are likely to have a lot of extra unnecessary data that would only be used by the 3D program used to make it.
3ds is better, i dont think it has a lot of useless info. anyway is u get a model in any format u can use programs like 3d explorer to convert them to what format u need
The 3d file format I''m currently using is .ASE which max exports (and probably a few others). It''s simple because it''s all text and it shouldn''t take you to long to throw together a simple parser (and if you have experince with lex and yac then even better). Check it out.

Ryan
Boghean

ps. I''m finishing up a converter right now (putting the finishing touches on tommorrow), so if you want e-mail me at r_boghean@yahoo.com and I''ll send ya the code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement