🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Left or right handed?

Started by
19 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

because if you play a human player they can use this information (if you are right or left handed) against you. See what i''m saying?! A computer AI should be allowed this advantage as well.

I was guessing that you wanted a computer opponent that played like a ''real'' opponent would, rather than a ''real human computer gamer opponent'', if you see the distinction? Of course, if you are just trying to simulate a human gamer, then sure...

...not that I think -any- normal player would think about whether you are left handed or right handed and defend accordingly. Ok, so you are the exception They would be more likely to observe a trend over several games and pick up on that, which you can also do, but which isn''t ''cheating'' in the sense that I meant... just your usual learning algorithms.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Kylotan
...not that I think -any- normal player would think about whether you are left handed or right handed and defend accordingly. Ok, so you are the exception

I believe that there are things that we work out about each other psychologically in forums, games, conversation etc that we take for granted and don''t give it a second thought. I mean, i wonder what you have worked out about me and just take that knowledge as common place.

The interesting thing is, is if we do take certain facts about each other as "to obvious to worry about" then this knowledge shouldn''t be that hard for a computer to pick up as well.

Example: You''ve told me/others on previous threads that you are **** sometimes this is "you" when it comes to forums which is a trait that i doubt you carry on to certain games that you love. But what about players who play ****. How do you work that out from the computers AI persective? This intrigues me (not the fact that you can be ****)

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: I believe that there are things that we work out about each other psychologically in forums, games, conversation etc that we take for granted and don''t give it a second thought.

That says it all really.... if you''re going to use the "there could always be things we don''t know about that might influence someone in ways we don''t know so I''m gonna simulate them" argument, that can justify -anything- you felt like putting into the game, therefore is not really a valid topic for discussion Try doing the research to find out if these effects actually exist first, -then- do the research to see if we ever actually unconsciously take them into account, and -then- you will be justified in adding such a feature in

As for the example, well if I knew what was behind the asterisks, I might be able to agree
Well... I am lefthanded... but I use a RIGHTHANDED mouse...

Are there any lefthanded mouses??

Dark
quote:
That says it all really.... if you''re going to use the "there could always be things we don''t know about that might influence someone in ways we don''t know so I''m gonna simulate them" argument, that can justify -anything- you felt like putting into the game, therefore is not really a valid topic for discussion Try doing the research to find out if these effects actually exist first, -then- do the research to see if we ever actually unconsciously take them into account, and -then- you will be justified in adding such a feature in

One of my favourite saying comes in handy here "You can''t create enemies until you''ve made them a friend first". So the computer has to make you a friend first (computationally) in order for it to be an enemy in the first place. This is my philosophy to computer AI in games. If a computer doesn''t get to know you then its not an enemy, it''s just a suicide machine. When we play a game we naturally analyse the AI in order to work out its weaknesses so we can beat it. So it stands to reason that the computer should do the same to us, yes?

Justified? I prefer the word "Appropriate" myself Of which is not an argument for me becuase it''s all part of my philosophy about AI. I hope this doesn''t come across as arrogant? Maybe Bullheaded! Ah, now there''s something that the computer could us against ME

quote:
As for the example, well if I knew what was behind the asterisks, I might be able to agree

A subtle joke Hint: *az* Remember, you said it first so don''t take offense at me *Activates ring of etheralness*

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I know what the topic is about... you didn''t get my point because I had some grammar mistakes. Anyways, what I meant was that it''s more convenient to do it with the left hand . I''m right handed though. I play soccer with my left foot and that''s why I''m so damn good at it.

-------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
I''m half left, half right, I do most things using my right hand, except for other things, like writing, I use my left.

I like what you are thinking, but I don''t think left or right handed people have much differences other than that. Although, you could probably work out whether people are using their left hand or right, by watching how they move the mouse, because, when I move the mouse horizontally with my left hand, it tends to go in a direction that is sloping down to the right, while with my right, it slopes up to the right. Whether or not you can use this info or not is another story.
I have often wondered along these lines, and considered writing a program which will firstly ask people tihngs like their age, sex, country, favorite colour, phobias, favorite food and so on and then play a game with them which tests different things, such as aggressiveness, tendancy for the left or right and other stuff.
Actually, now I think about it, I''ve just remembered something, it is a proven fact that people are more likely to walk to the right than to the left, and in department stores, some companies will pay more to have their products to the right of the entry. Perhaps, since it is also a proven fact that 90% of people are right handed and left handed people are better at using the creative side of their brain (the right side), I think maybe you could make some links.

Just off topic, Paul, where in NSW are you?

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
quote: By Ragonastick
Just off topic, Paul, where in NSW are you?

Let''s just say that you can almost see my house from Center Point Tower Actually you might be able to these days, i''m not quite sure come to think of it?! It probably depends on the smog level as well i suppose Where abouts are you Ragonastick?

quote: By Ragonastick
Although, you could probably work out whether people are using their left hand or right, by watching how they move the mouse, because, when I move the mouse horizontally with my left hand, it tends to go in a direction that is sloping down to the right, while with my right, it slopes up to the right.

Its fun, i just noticed that halfway through reading this. I guess thats why they put the start button on the bottom left, because its more natural for right handed people to look there first.

What about those card games that psycologist use. You know those cards that have patterns on them and then they ask you what you''re feeling when you look at them. There''s deffinity something going on there.

We all know that body language can tell you a lot about how a person is feeling. And your eye''s are never ment to lie. I guess what my real quest is is to discover a kind of human/computer body language that can be programed into a game to work out how the player is feeling. We need a terminology that i''ve never heard before.

Player Body Language?
E-Human Language?
Input response?
God damn, i can''t work it out. This ones going to be hard!

quote: By Gladiator
I know what the topic is about... you didn''t get my point because I had some grammar mistakes.

Was that the "I think i''m on the wrong board post"? I got that one

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham
Where abouts are you Ragonastick?

I''m near Hornsby.

The game I am designing right now is similar to most RTSs (except it is focussing more on stealth and there is no combat). But I think you may have inspired me to do a bit of research as to peoples tendancies in the game, like maybe a character design screen which will ask a few questions about who the player would like to play, like male or female... actually I don''t think that will work.
I''ll maybe do favourite colour and left/right handedness, since they can easily put in.
Where are you? I''m really curious now. =)

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
You''re almost within bike riding distance from me. I live in the Bennalong district, Ryde''ish. Maybe we should meet up for a beer and have a chat one day I''d love to hear about your game. Email me if you''re interested.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement