🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows 95 & 98 users, you need this patch.

Started by
8 comments, last by felisandria 24 years, 2 months ago
Please refer to the story at http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/21459.html
and download the patch from Microsoft (there is a link in the article)
Fortunately a group of security testers found the problem before a cracker did, but now that it's public knowledge that the problem exists, it's only a matter of time before exploits of this kind are widespread.

-fel
~ Stop laughing Linux people! *grin* ~

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Advertisement
Everyone, please check "TsAdBot.exe" on your hard drive (I guess only Windows platform).
This software silently sends your information over the net.

Some free demos of e-games install TsAdBot.exe.
LOL, thats wonderful.

This post is old! From a level of 1 to old....well...
Wow. Why did you go to all the trouble of dragging up that one from August ''99 rather than just posting a new topic?
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Windows NT rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
*grins* BlackIce rocks
NOTHING gets sent from or to my PC without me knowing about it.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
i think all o those problems are resolved in win98se, i dont think i will need the patch
one good thing that they fixed in win98se was that c:\con\con problem. u can''t run it anymore (just like NT)

btw, does anyone know whay that thing happens when u run c:\con\con? and why does it give me error when i try to make a directory called "con" in any folder?

- pouya
>i think all o those problems are resolved in win98se

No, you need to use internet security software such as Guard Dog or Norton Internet Security. They will detect which program is trying to connect from your computer.

Interesting finding: Front Page Express (free in Win98) is trying to use internet connection without user''s permission! Microsoft cannot be trusted.

Hey Game Secret/Tip
Yeah I prefer to trust my own judgement too. BlackIce coupled with an IP_spoofer usually does the trick, and checking your netstat''s a good idea if you think something is wrong

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement