🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Slow forum?

Started by
9 comments, last by bosjoh 24 years, 5 months ago
I never had those problems.

CU

------------------
Skullpture Entertainment

Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de
Advertisement
Maybe is just perception?

__The forums seemed to load slow at home on our 33.6kbps modem, but it loads at the same speed at college, and that's a T1 piggybacked on a T3. (Averaging 35-60 Kbps.)
__It either could be the GameDev server, or the fact that the site runs on ASP (I hedge my bets on the latter.)

I get mixed results myself. Somedays the thing hauls ass, other days it's a piece o poop. I do know that sometimes all it is are the damn ads that slow things down.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

I can promise that any problems with the forums have absolutely nothing to do with ASP. They don't use it. At all.

Kevin is probably right about the ad servers. We are trying to get them to do something about it.

I have a 56K6 connection so I think that is no problem. The problem is where it seeks
as0.cybereps
At that point it hangs a lot.

BTW,
today it is all fine and fast again.

Sometimes (like now) it takes ages for the forums to load. This is very annoying.

Anyone experiencing this too?
Or is it just my connection

yes, as0.cybereps.com is the one that stalls the whole thing, usually for up to 10 seconds. very annoying, because it has to contact it every page on the board.

right NOW (2:34am) it's fine though..

[This message has been edited by foofightr (edited October 01, 1999).]

Myopic Rhino,

I beg your pardon, but your statement makes no sense. Every page used in this forum is an ASP page (just look at the address), plus this forum is based on "ASP Forums", an entirely ASP-based web forum. If I am wrong, please correct me, but saying that no ASP is used is clearly false.

As to ASP being "slow", that makes no sense at all. ASP is server side scripting and is dependent on the server itself. If the machine is decent, it will crank just fine, assuming the server is good enough to keep SQL running. We won''t get into SQL server now Perhaps they need to beef it up, or perhaps it is overtaxed with other tasks.

I''d appreciate any further info.
I am not sure if any of you noticed, but the dates on these posts are all over the place.... Is this an old message that has been recently reposted?!

LostSoul
LostSoul
The boards use ASP now, but they didn''t about a month ago. They were UBB which uses CGI.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement