🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

scripting system

Started by
0 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 12 months ago
(double post from Game programming - kill the other if you must and sorry for the inconvenience.) Hi, I have been thinking about scripting architectures recently and have been getting very confused. Maybe you can help me! It's not so much the design of the actual scripting language which confuses me. That's OK. I already have coded the best part of a small compiler and virtual machine. Ideally, I would like to write a simple version of the Unreal engine approach. This (if I have understood it correctly) features a VM which gives OO scripts access to engine functionality like rendering etc.. which virtually all the game code is scripted. I'm having problems conceptualising how this can work from an implementation standpoint. The Wiki presents massive class tree (http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Class_Tree_Listing_(U2)) but does not mention whether these are UScript classes or engine classes or both. Does the engine contain the same classes (Actor, Pawn etc..) as the scripts? I thought UScript was compiled to bytecode. In that case how does the mapping/binding to the engine (C++) occur. What exactly happens in the Unreal Engine/VM? I am most confused! HELP!! Many Thanks Tony
<Fish>{
Advertisement
I don't know how Unreal does it, but I do it this way:
I have some event functions, that are called whenver stuff happens (such as a player entering an area, talking to an NPC, etc.)
You also need a lot of host functions, that will enable you to get/set details about all kind of things (such as player's health, stamina, location, etc.).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement