🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SDL or Allegro?

Started by
17 comments, last by owl 19 years, 11 months ago
Ok, here's my situation. I know quite a bit of c and C++. im looking for a library to use with C++ to make games. I plan on coding a 2D topdown game. I've never coded a game before. I'm using Bloodshed DevC++ for my complier. After all that, what library would be best for me? SDL or Allegro or some third thing. Thanks!
Advertisement
Toss a coin; SDL and Allegro are both suitable. I personally recommend Allegro, if only because it's easier to get something up and running with, but ... yeah. Either are good.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

I would recommend allegro cause i use it, and find it very suitable for 2d games of any kind. But, thats just my oppinion.
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks
Take a look at both and see which you prefer, both libraries are perfectly capable, though I do find that allegro has more functionality, in that stuff you'd need an external library for or to code yourself in SDL would be included in Allegro.
And poor little clanlib sits in the corner; dejected and alone....

But yes, it is a coin toss.
I'll give my vote for SDL. It is much cleaner.
Not giving is not stealing.
I vote Allegro. It may be a little portly (it's not bloated), but most of the uses it has you would end up downloading multiple files for SDL anyway. Please it's a breeze to get started and initializing is super easy.
wow, other then 23yrold, I thought I was one of the only ones using allegro, I thought everyone here was pro sdl.. cool
---------------Full Time Musician: Staggerin' Monks
Quote: Original post by HackMaster321
wow, other then 23yrold, I thought I was one of the only ones using allegro, I thought everyone here was pro sdl.. cool

Nah; there's just no Allegro topics here because it's so much easier to use, no one has problems with it. [wink]

Just kidding! [grin]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

Is it allowed (in the licence) to statically link allegro to one's project?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement