🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Doom 3 Modding.

Started by
6 comments, last by luridcortex 19 years, 10 months ago
Two questions: 1) Where is the editor for Doom 3. How do you run the editor since I dont see it in the game. 2) Is there a shader scripting language in existense in case we dont want to use HLSL or Cg?
Advertisement
You can access the editor (DoomEdit) from the console by typing 'editor'. You can also start the editor up from the command-line by passing +editor.
What is wrong with HLSL or Cg? They basically are shader scripting languages. I mean, how much higher level do you need?
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Is there a way to load the editor outside the game?
I dont have any problem with HLSL or Cg. I heard though that Doom 3 uses a scripting language for the shaders so I am curious:)
The Doom3 Shaders are in pak000.pk4 (which is just a zip file in disguise) in the directory glprogs. They're not writting in a scripting language it's just normal ASM (i.e. no Cg or GLSL).

Doom3 however does have a scripting language, I'm not sure how much control it has over the material and shader system as I haven't really looked at it much. If you look in pak000.pk4 again but this time in the script directory you should see the game's scripts.
I think doom3 uses dlls for scripting. Here's a website on doom3 modding:

http://www.doom3world.org
I think it's some language similar to QuakeC (in the original quake). Given John Carmack's (published) dislike (due to security issues) of binary code I doubt it's dll based. Quake 3 supported dll's (or shared objects [.so] on Linux) but mods using the bytecode interpreter were /much/ preferred.
-- Jonathan
The Doom 3 game code is in the gamex86 dynamic library. This is pretty much the same as Quake 2. The source for this library has to be released for the modders to be able to fully control the behavior of the game code. I don't know when the source code will be released... Probably around the time they will release the first patch for the game.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Ive poked around quite a bit with the Doom III editing features that came out of the box. I dont think there are any special shader editing features or high level shader scripting, youve just gotta write em yourself.

You may be able to get alot done with particle scripting and the particle editor though. You can launch the particle editor from the console by typing editparticles. It takes a while to load up, up to 5 minutes for some people, so let it sit for a bit while it loads.

If you want further info on particle scripting, or Doom III modding in general you should definatley check out http://www.doom3world.org There are some really great tutorials, people, and resources there.

Good luck ; )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement