🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Library for linkable servers

Started by
1 comment, last by Athiril 19 years, 10 months ago
I am looking for a library/api/whatever where you can link servers together, like SETI, except it's distributed serving, instead of distributed processing, I heard ICE can do it ages ago, so I found the site ( http://www.zeroc.com/ ), but it doesn't say anything about it, I was wondering without getting into the logistics of it too much, that how it could work, without having a central management server or central management servers, for example, on a game, say a persisten MMORPG (best example), you could release the server software with the game, people could run the server software if they wanted, so the persistent world could grow larger and support more people etc, but if enough people ran it, wouldn't eventually choke the central management server(s)? (central management server, mainly just has a list of all the servers, the server software released with the game would connect to it, update the list of servers etc, dont want to get too much into the logistics etc)... So anyway, any solution(free), that is for Windows and Linux?
Advertisement
Such a system would necessarily be far too specific to a particular game engine to be releasable as a library. You'll pretty much need to do it yourself. Networking middleware such as ICE or CORBA will definitely help reduce the amount of "busy-work" coding, but the logistics are up to you.
It's for a future project, so there isn't too big of a rush, for something that still hasn't had the concept completely thought of yet, but it's still good to think a head in advance, and plan a head etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement