🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Execute LUA-script one instruction at the time.

Started by
4 comments, last by Sneftel 19 years, 11 months ago
Is it possible to gain external control over a script when you embed lua. I would like to do something like this: lua_State *l; l = lua_open(); luaL_loadfile(l,"test.lua"); //... Register my functions. while(statements_left(l)) { lua_step(l); } I would also like to know if there is a way to set a memory limit for lua_State without having to alter the LUA source.
Advertisement
For single stepping, you can set a line-count-hook. This is primarily useful for debugging your program by single-stepping. If you want to execute part of a script, then stop and come back later and finish it, coroutines are a better bet. Read the manual for details on either.

In terms of setting a memory limit: If you want a hard limit like that, you do need to edit the source. Everything is gathered into lgc.c and lgc.h. It's pretty easy to follow.
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
Everything is gathered into lgc.c and lgc.h. It's pretty easy to follow.

Offtopic: is there some roadmap to the lua sources, or should I just go ahead and read them?
IIRC, there's a bit of a roadmap to the VM (which is one of the most complex parts) but that's about it, as far as I know. Jump on in.
I tried the lua_sethook function but I can't find a way of hooking statements. And if I were to use coroutines I would have to implement them myself in C since I don't want to enable them for the scripts I'm running.

I like Lua, but I'm not sure that it is the best thing to us for what I'm trying to do.
Do you know if there is a scripting language that can be easily embedded and execute individual statements?
Quote: Original post by qwert
I tried the lua_sethook function but I can't find a way of hooking statements.

Just set a linecount hook to execute every 1 line.
Quote: And if I were to use coroutines I would have to implement them myself in C since I don't want to enable them for the scripts I'm running.
Not sure what you mean by this. Coroutines don't need to be "enabled", just used.
Quote: I like Lua, but I'm not sure that it is the best thing to us for what I'm trying to do.
Do you know if there is a scripting language that can be easily embedded and execute individual statements?
I don't know of any offhand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement