Advertisement

Torque

Started by September 06, 2004 02:22 PM
24 comments, last by chimengi 19 years, 9 months ago
As it seems now my boss(Sam)has decided that we should use the torque engine for a fps. Im a bit skeptish(Spelling?) towards this and feel like the engine is not going to really work for a fps. If any of you have any experience with the engine please fill free to comment on this. If you know any other game engine that would be better for a fps fill free to say so :) I been watching Nebula (Link at bottom) for a while and must say it looks intresting. Thanks. http://www.radonlabs.de/nebula.html
Im your average leveldesigner and 2d artist 8)
I've used both Torque and Nebula, and while Nebula is an interesting engine, it requires a lot of extra development to be useful for a game. You'd need to develop your own GUI system for a start, and probably several other major components as well.

Torque, on the other hand, is already a complete game engine. It has full GUI support, including a GUI editor, a complete and very good networking model, and will soon be available with a new shader based rendering system. The only real downside is the sparse documentation, but that is gradually improving, and is somewhat offset by thae fact that there is a great community of torque developers that are willing and able to answer most questions you may have.
And where do you get the idea that it won't work for FPS? It was designed for FPS games, and used to great effect for Tribes 2.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
Advertisement
I can understand you being sceptical about using Torque to create a non-FPS game, but as Plasmadog has pointed out, the FPS genre is what it was designed for.

All I really have to add to the previous post is that there is now a book available entitled 3D Game Programming All in One by Ken Finney which fills in most of the gaps in the online documentation and leads you through creating a simple FPS and a basic racing game from start to finish. It also includes a precompiled version of Torque, the necessary tools (some are shareware) and example source on the accompanying CDROM.

The community regularly contribute code snippets, tutorials and assets on the Garage Games site for Torque license owners to use. There are also several useful independent sites available.
Looking at screenshots of Tribes 2 it seems weapons are low poly,modells and levels. =/
Im your average leveldesigner and 2d artist 8)
Bear in mind that Tribes 2 was designed to have a lot of players in the same game, so the performance issues related to that may be the reason for the relatively low poly models they used. The engine is certainly capable of more, and when the shader-based renderer is finished it will be able to make even low poly models look fantastic.

If you're not impressed by Tribes 2, then take a look at some of the other projects being developed using the Torque engine. The snapshot gallery at GarageGames is a good place to start. Admittedly, there is quite a lot of "programmer art" there, and not all of the projects are based on Torque, but there are some real gems there as well. This is a particularly good-looking example.
You are not the one beautiful and unique snowflake who, unlike the rest of us, doesn't have to go through the tedious and difficult process of science in order to establish the truth. You're as foolable as anyone else. And since you have taken no precautions to avoid fooling yourself, the self-evident fact that countless millions of humans before you have also fooled themselves leads me to the parsimonious belief that you have too.--Daniel Rutter
It's probably worth pointing out that the Torque Shader Engine can be used right now, but isn't complete yet. Shader support is definitely in though, so you can use shaders on your models right now. The graphics quality is indeed the main low point of Torque, but the TSE should see to that - you should see major improvements in the next year.

Also, Tribes 2 was designed for 3D hardware a couple of generations ago - of course it's going to be low-poly! When Sierra closed down Dynamix (developers of Tribes 2) the authors set up their own company (GarageGames), bought the rights to the Tribes 2 engine and renamed it Torque. That was several years ago and they've been improving it ever since.

3D Game Programming All In One is a very good book, and it's worth getting hold of a copy. It lets you know what Torque is capable of, but only covers TorqueScript and not the C++ internals (although you can do practically everything through scripting). There's official documentation "coming soon" for the C++ API and there's also a massive community ready to help.

If you just take the source code and compile it you've got a system ready to run a multiplayer FPS. Not bad. Compare this to Nebula, which is nice, but is not only more complex to set up but also does not come with tools and professional support.
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
Advertisement
Hmm, having seen the torque engine, tried the demo and both tribe games (and some newly released games which use the torque engine), I must say that it is definitly worth to look around for another engine, this engine was mostly build for outdoor gameplay..

There are so many 3d-engines out which are better:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/
http://engine.stodge.net/wiki/view.php?c=view&page=HomePage

But they are coming out with a Shader variant of the engine, so you could ofcourse check it out..

IMHO the GUI part of the torque engine is not a good one, as it's fixed (well at least in all the demos/games I checked it was), so if you run it at 800x600 it looks good, but if you up the resolution to 1600x1200 it still uses as much pixels for a menu, it is not 'stretched' to suit the resolution.. ofcourse this can all be fixed..

And one thing the torque engine does have is a very cheap price..
It does seem Torque is built almost exclusively for outddor environments, i havent seen alot of indoor type stuff. Are there any other engines out there that would be better for a game that makes use of primarily indoor environments?
There were plenty of large indoor environments in Tribes 2. In fact the Torque engine uses the same techniques for indoor stuff that is used by all the major FPS engines, i.e. BSP based portal rendering. It even uses the same editors, like QuArK, Worldcraft/Hammer, etc. It just happens to have a nicely integrated terrain engine as well, and most developers using the engine have chosen to take advantage of that. If you want to make a mostly/entirely indoor game, there is no reason why it should not really rock.
The Tribes 2 RPG which is still being developed has a number of indoor and underground areas, as does Project Raven.

As for the GUI elements being a fixed size, that doesn't have to be the case, as it can be controlled with TorqueScript. Fairly obviously, Garage Games had to strike a balance between download size and the number of features to show in the demo, and providing different sized menues and/or static images was probably not very high on their list of priorities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement