🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

modding quake.(and soure code questions)

Started by
22 comments, last by jakpandora 19 years, 10 months ago
my frined wants me to be a level designer for one of his new 3d games. however, I have minimal experience in "real" 3d level design, so he told me to download the shareware quake and mod it. I know you arnet supposed to do that, but the games so old, I dont think id would really mind. however, I dont kknow what to do now. I need a good editor, and anything els I need. thanks! oh, and keep your "this kids mental. you cant mod the shareware quake!" comments to yourslef please. [Edited by - jakpandora on September 11, 2004 4:12:34 PM]
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
Advertisement
Modding is encouraged by companies. Forget Quake, mod Doom3.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
my comp cant run doom 3. nor am I interested in buying anything. ill just stick with quake. its just for practice.
ID software released both Quake 1 and 2 under the GPL meaning you can download and build the code or modify it for your own productions as long as you don't sell it or pass it off as your own work. ID still maintain the copyright over the textures and other game resources so you won't be able to distribute them, however there's plenty of free texture packs and models around that you could grab and mess about with. You're probably best off either creating a mod for the games or create some deathmatch levels for experience. Get the Quake 1 & 2 source from the ID public FTP server.
um, I have no interest in the source. I just want to make level mods. can anyone answer my question? I just want to make a level mod. however, I need an editor, plus I believ someone said shareware quake wont load the levels. any way to get by this?
Well, unless I am mistaken, the license for shareware quake says you can't mod it, and the engine has checks in it to prevent modding. Sorry, but you'll probably have to shell out <$10 for the original quake or somesuch if you won't compile it yourself.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
look, you cheap little bastard, go out and buy half life, (its like 15 dollars), download the SDK and the map editor, and go nuts.

Unless you are extreemly comfortable working with iD's consoles, you should probably go with valve's stuff. Look at some of the ameture mods produced for half life, then look at all of the ones made for quake.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
I would compile it myself, but it wouldnt have any of the textures or models. plus every time I try to do that, I get errors. theres has got to be some way to get around that. I know the license says that, but the game is how old now? I just want to make a few practice mods.

*edit*

Quote: look, you cheap little bastard, go out and buy half life, (its like 15 dollars), download the SDK and the map editor, and go nuts.

I dont want to shell out any money for a game just to make a mod or two with it. and I would again, prefer it if you kep comments like that to yourslef.
If you download the source you;ll be able to build a fully working executable version of Quake 1 or 2. All you'll need is textures and/or level editors.

For level editors look at Valve's Hammer and the vast wealth of resources on PlanetQuake (look under Editing/Modifying).
my problem is, the source wont compile. and I actually would like to use the models and textures in the gmae. however if I must build the source, then I guess I will. could someone point me to a tutorial that tells me how to compile the source? and also how to load in the models ext.( but I assume they are with the manuel of hammer) oh, and a tool by valve will work with quake?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement