Advertisement

modding quake.(and soure code questions)

Started by September 09, 2004 02:53 PM
22 comments, last by jakpandora 19 years, 12 months ago
no ones replied yet? some ones gotta know!
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
What problems are you having with compiling the source?

Quote: a tool by valve will work with quake?

Yep it uses the .wad format for textures all you need is a quake .fgd file for the entities and some quake compile tools (these shouldn't be hard to get hold of).

Why do you have to get experience by making levels for quake though? Can't you just make maps directly for your friends 3D game? What other games have you got, have you looked into level editing for one of those?
Advertisement
the only other game ive modded is doom. He doesnt have any tools yet, so he told me to use quake. I will compile the quake source code and see what errors I get(I know I get some) and as for the part about hammer, the only thing I understood was that it used the wad formtat

*edit* the level editor I was going to download has a 100 min wait on file planet. any level editors you can recommend(I was gonna get tread 3d)
If your friend's engine or utilities can deal with a common format you may want to consider using a generic 3d editor, you'll run into some engine-specific issues modding anything..

If the engine loads quake levels directly your choices are limited :), otherwise you should be able to create content in other formats (ASE, 3DS, X, etc.) and convert it..
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
tlaked to my freind. hell be getting the stuff soon however, I am still interted in modding quake. here are the errors I get when compiling win quake(I assume this is a windows version of quake. does it run under windows?)

fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ".\Release\d_draw.obj"

I also get two warnings, but I think there irrelivant. also, how would I integrate my own levels, graphics, etc into the game?
Jak. I'm sorry about my previous post. It wasn't very helpful or friendly. When I was playing elite force, there was a program called EF Radiant. It was a decent BSP map editor, I think there is a version available for the quake games. I found it intuitive when I was playing around with it.

As much as you would hate to, I suggest that you do read through the source. You are going to have to learn how to load the scripts and stuff from somewhere.

And check out the quake 1 arena mod if you can find it.

Sorry to be a rude jerk earlier.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by PnP Bios
Jak. I'm sorry about my previous post. It wasn't very helpful or friendly. When I was playing elite force, there was a program called EF Radiant. It was a decent BSP map editor, I think there is a version available for the quake games. I found it intuitive when I was playing around with it.

As much as you would hate to, I suggest that you do read through the source. You are going to have to learn how to load the scripts and stuff from somewhere.

And check out the quake 1 arena mod if you can find it.

Sorry to be a rude jerk earlier.

its ok. I endeed up using quark for the level editro(seemed pretty good. any opinions?) I have read through the source a little bit. not much of it made sense though. anyways, right now, I just need help getting the source to compile. I assum ehat the d_draw object is missing. I will downloaaded the sopurce again and that didnt help. I also still need a site to help with the loading of my levels, etc. with the exe.

*EDIT* could someone simply email me the built source to quake? I dont know if this is legal or not, but I still cannot get it to compile. also, the adress thats in my profile sometimes doesnt work, so email it to Mic46686@aol.com instead. thanks!

[Edited by - jakpandora on September 10, 2004 3:46:07 PM]
does no one visit this section? I wish it wanst moved from the lounge...
come one guys! someones gotta be able to help! ok, at the very least, could someone point me to some kind of recent 3d, shareware/demo game I can mod for practice?
did you download the "Quake II Game source" or the "Quake II Source GPL"? The former does not include any source from the engine. otherwise, check the Release directory and see if "d_draw.obj" was built by the compiler. if it wasn't then you'll have to peruse the makefile or project settings (don't know by which it's build) and discover why it wasn't built. otherwise, are you running make from the correct directory? it sounds like a relative path issue if d_draw.obj was actually built.

[EDIT: also, i really would suggest just buying Half-life. i guarantee that if you continue down the quake road you'll spend at _least_ 1-2 weeks just getting to the point where you can start modding it, another 1-2 weeks figuring out _how_ to mod it, etc. buying Half-life will cost like $10 and you'll be modding the same day as the game arrives. honestly, for me, saving 2-4 weeks of frustration and insanity is worth $10]

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement