🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

*Programming in Lua* Book Available Online

Started by
6 comments, last by graveyard filla 19 years, 10 months ago
Hopefuly this isnt a repost... The Book "Programming in LUA" is now available online: Clicky Enjoy, and please consider buying a copy.
Advertisement
T'is a top book, I've had a copy for a couple of weeks now, certainly improved my understanding of Lua a great deal, well worth the money.
My copy shipped yesterday! :)
-------------------------Rayoom Sledge Hammer Productions - Programmer
Nice book, I hardly knew anything about lua but that book is a good introduction. The multiple return values/ multiple assignments/ variable argument system is way cool. Does anyone know how these mystical 'tables' that work efficiently at different sizes are implemented? Binary trees? Growing hash tables?
Probably a balanced tree, like C++ uses in std::map. The Lua source code is open though, so why not take a look for yourself?
Sweetness. Rate++
> The Lua source code is open though, so why not take a look for yourself?

Probably because I am lazy. No actually that is a good idea. The guy who wrote the book (that is the guy who designed the language, right?) makes those tables sound like they solve all our problems. I'm curious. They are used in neat ways, I wouldn't have thought 'everything is a table' was a viable way to design a language.
Lua tables are implemented as a hash table and an array. The array is used to store non-sparse integral keys, while the hash table is used for everything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement