🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tribute BASIC

Started by
12 comments, last by silvermace 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, I'm writting a compiler and VM for fun, here is the first release, it has quite a few scripts you can play with I would really appreciate it if anyone could try it out and report any bugs or improvments etc. in this thread. the language is a similar dialect to Visual Basic except without the object orientation. UPDATE: 1.3.2 [download R1.3.2] Side Notes: I havn't had time to document it much, so please use Tide and browse the Scripts and Scripts/Simple Scripts Directories Also, Read the CONTENTS.TXT file in each folder for a description of the directory and some tips etc. Current Language Feature List: * Arrays (1D), Arrays as Arguments, Arrays as Return Types * Automatic Type Conversion (Float->Int vice versa) * External Library Support for DLL's * String Support with DLL Library * Math library with around 35 functions (Trig,Hyp,Arc,Log etc.) * Very Simple OpenGL library (for fun) * File I/O Library * Simple Timer based Profiler Library * Syntax Highlighting Text Editor (Tide.exe) Current Language Keyword List: * For, Next, To * While * If, ElseIf, Else * And * Function * Sub * Declare * Typeless Const * Dim, ReDim * GoTo Unsupported Language Keyword List: * Not, Or * Wend, Do, Until * Select, Case * Is * Type * With, End With * Exit Any Questions, Post Here. Cheers, Danu [Edited by - silvermace on September 14, 2004 1:36:19 AM]
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Advertisement
anyone had a look?
im going to put the Source code under LGPL or something a bit
more liberal than GPL
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

I looked through some of the source files. It looks well designed and easy to use. You have also included a great number of string and math functions in your libraries.

Some more documentation would be really night...
can I check out your design documents?
Since I'm making my own, it would be mean not to have a look at yours...

Nice! [smile] Reminds me of QBasic. You should make an IDE (or was there one?).
Not giving is not stealing.
He has a syntax highlighting editor named Tide (tide.exe). Obviously, he has "been there" and "done that" =D

Again, good work. I like it.
Quote: Original post by visage
He has a syntax highlighting editor named Tide (tide.exe). Obviously, he has "been there" and "done that" =D

Again, good work. I like it.

Wow...

How long did it take you to make this whole thing!?

[Edited by - thedevdan on September 13, 2004 8:17:11 PM]
Quote: Original post by visage
Quote: Original post by thedevdan
Nice! [smile] Reminds me of QBasic. You should make an IDE (or was there one?).

I was telling you that he DOES have an IDE. You were the one asking for it. Obviously YOU were the one who didn't read the info too carefully.

Noooooooo.

I was asking that question to him, meaning how long did it take him to make his whole package. So sorry for the misunderstanding... I'll edit for clarity.
Haha, sorry for the snappy response. I thought you were being sarcastic with me, being like "How long did it take _you_ to figure that one out, einstein."

Sorry 'bout that ;)

I deleted my post.
No problem. [smile]
Thanks for the testing guys.

Compiler + Libraries = 3 weeks on Thursday.
Virtual Machine = 1-2 months.

Theres No Design Document :)
The source code for the entire system will be availible soon
on my website.

Its all C++, clean with Exceptions and Logging :)

Also, side note 1.3.2:
Updated the String Library, added StrComp and a Split function
Updated Added "From String" Conversion functions
Updated VM Bug, Strings & Arrays didnt work properly.
Updated File I/O Library (readLine bug)

In case you missed it in the original post heres 1.3.2
[download R1.3.1]<a>

[Edited by - silvermace on September 14, 2004 1:28:44 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement