🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL/SDL

Started by
2 comments, last by DEVLiN 19 years, 10 months ago
hi all, i am looking to develop my first game, the same old TETRIS; but rather than using GLUT for windowing/key, I would like to use SDL assuming I may add sounds/networking once i get my basic version done. any comments on my thoughts? ~boyd
Advertisement
In my opinion SDL is much better that GLUT. Of course, it has been quite a while since I've done a comparison of them.
It is my understanding that GLUT wasn't even developed for making games. It was only for "proof-of-concept" OpenGL examples, thus making it much less powerful and practical than SDL. I've been using SDL since I started my project and I absolutely love it. :)

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote: Original post by schoolkid
hi all,

i am looking to develop my first game, the same old TETRIS; but rather than using GLUT for windowing/key, I would like to use SDL assuming I may add sounds/networking once i get my basic version done.

any comments on my thoughts?

~boyd

If you're making a 2d tetris, you won't even need OpenGL to begin with, SDL alone will do just fine.

If you still want to use OpenGL, it's very easy to use with SDL, so I would recommend it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement